The 4th annual Huntington’s disease awareness event, Team Hope Walk, will be at 1 p.m. Sunday at Arsenal Park, State Capitol grounds, in Baton Rouge.
Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- Free Baby and You orientation tours will be from 1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Sunday, and 6:30 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Monday, Nov. 12, at the hospital, Conference Room 2.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class. Register at (225) 231-5475.
- “After Baby Comes: Baby Care and Parent Care” will be from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35 per couple. Register at (225) 231-5475.
- “Kegels: What You Need to Know About Your Pelvic Floor” will be held at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. Cost is $30. Register at (225) 924-8709.
- “Anesthesia for Childbirth” will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the hospital, Conference Room 2. Cost is $5 per person. Register at (225) 231-5475.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class. Register at (225) 231-5475.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Basics of Breastfeeding and Pump Pointers” will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday at Woman’s Center for Wellness. Cost is $20 (women only). Register at (225) 231-5475.
- “Baby Grand,” a free event with classes, tours, door prizes and demonstrations, will be from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the hospital. Registration is not required.
HopeKeepers, a support group for people affected by chronic illness or pain, physical or emotional, will meet from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church, 12663 Perkins Road.
For more information, call (225) 337-1633.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events this week:
- Tour for Two (or more) will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave, Conference Room 2.
Register for the free event at http://www.BRGeneral.org.
- Man to Man, a prostate cancer support group, will meet from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference rooms 1 and 2.
For information, call (225) 767-7197.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location.
Call (225) 763-4050 to register for the free event.
- Weight loss surgery seminars will be from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 1.
Call (225) 763-4242.
- “Baby Care Basics” will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2.
Cost is $30 per couple. Register at http://www.BRGeneral.org.
- “Friday Lunch Live,” Baton Rouge General Arts in Medicine program new concert series, will be from noon to 12:45 p.m. at the Mid-City location, 3600 Florida Blvd. The event is free and open to the community.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd.
Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park.
Registration is required.
- West Feliciana Parish Support Group will meet from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday at First United Methodist Church, 9856 Royal St., St. Francisville.
- Single Survivors Networking will meet at noon Wednesday at the office.
- After Hours Cancer Support Group will have an educational program, “An Introduction to a Cancer Diagnosis,” at 6 p.m. every Wednesday at the office.
- “Zumba Gold” will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at the office. Registration is required.
- Caregiver Support Group will meet at noon Friday at the office.
For more information, call (225) 927-2273.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St. Syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Metro Health will also offer testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; and 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue.
For more information, call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. at the office.
No needles and no blood are necessary, and results are ready in 20 minutes. For more information, call (225) 927-9810. or visit http://www.fsgbr.org
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale.
Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4919 Jamestown Ave., Suite 101, will offer the following events and opportunity:
- A support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs Road..
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales.
All support groups are free and confidential.
- Rene Uzee will speak at "Grief, Stress and the Holidays" from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 12, at Our Lady of Mercy Parish Activity Center.
The event is free and open to the public.
- Speakers are available on request for topics dealing with grief. For more information, call (225) 924-6621.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave.
For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
Depression and Bi-Polar Support Alliance will meet from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at La Madeleine Café, 7615 Jefferson Highway.
The free meeting is open to those diagnosed with depression and bi-polar disorder as well as family and friends.
For more information, call (225) 275-2778.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave.
The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
Hope Chests, a support group for breast cancer patients and their families, will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Ochsner Clinic Foundation of Baton Rouge, 9001 Summa Ave., third-floor lobby. Sarah Dulaney, Ochsner Health Center social worker, will speak on “Stress Management Tips for the Holidays.”
Call (225) 761-5296.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- Free grief support group sessions will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane, and at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive.
- A special Holiday Grief Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Broadmoor United Methodist Church, 9755 Goodwood Blvd., Adult Building, Room 104. Call (225) 767-4673.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance. Call (225) 767-4673.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes this week:
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Another class will be Saturday. Cost is $110.
- “Adult CPR” will be from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the office. Cost is $70.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $90.
Call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events:
- Caregiver network groups for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday at the office. 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 West La. 30, Gonzales, first floor, Sister Venola Room; 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Home Instead Senior Care, 11764 Haymarket Ave.; 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Amber Terrace, 8585 Summa Drive; and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Pennington Biomedical, 6400 Perkins Road.
- Memory screenings will be provided free and confidential to individuals concerned about memory loss with the objective of early detection and intervention from 9 a.m. to noon at West Baton Rouge Public Library, Port Allen; Ascension Parish Council on Aging, Donaldsonville and Gonzales; and Assumption Parish Library, Napoleonville.
- “A Cause to Remember,” a free informational session to increase awareness of programs and services, will be from noon to 1 p.m. at the office. A light lunch will be provided. Reservations are required by calling (225) 334-7494.
- Alzheimer’s and other national agencies will hold a national commemorative candle lighting from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 11, at the office, Charlie’s Place Memory Garden. For more information, call (225) 334-7494.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Resthaven, 11817 Jefferson Highway, Swan Room.
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) in Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive, will hold the following events this week:
- A childbirth class series will be held from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Nov. 13 and 27 at the center.
The three-part series will be offered in a one-day session from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Nov. 17 at the center, first-floor classrooms. Call (225) 755-4854 to register.
- Breakfast Bunch: Humana 2013 Updates, a Golden Opportunity program for adults 50 and older, will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday at the medical center, cafeteria.
The event is free.
- Movie Review: “Trouble with the Curve,” a GO event, will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at Grand Cinema, 15365 George O’Neal Road. Meet in the theater for a private showing. Admission is $6.50 per person and a small drink and small popcorn. RSVP at (225) 755-4984.
- A GO road trip for a National Weather Service tour and dining at Palmetto’s on the Bayou Restaurant will be depart the medical center at 8 a.m. and return at 5 p.m. Friday. Cost is $55 per person which includes transportation, tour fees and lunch. RSVP to (225) 755-4984.
- “Breastfeeding Basics” will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the center. The $25 class fee covers registration, materials, and refreshments for mom and a partner. To register, call (225) 755-4854.
Co-Dependency Anonymous 12 step meeting — including step 11 — will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday at University United Methodist Church, 3350 Dalrymple Drive, Room 204 of the Trice Building. Call (225) 922-9543 for more information, or visit http://www.coda.org.
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, 8833 Goodwood Blvd., will hold "Grief in the Holidays: Loss of a Child and the Holidays” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the church’s Witter Hall. The event is free. Call (225) 926-5343.
National Alliance on Mental Illness will hold a Connection Recovery Support Group meeting for those whose lives are affected by mental illness at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Denham Springs/Walker Branch Library, 8101 U.S. 90 in Denham Springs.
Call (225) 291-6262.
Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates Association, 848 Louisiana Ave., will hold an informational session for those interested in becoming CASA advocates at noon Thursday. Court Appointed Special Advocates help neglected and abused children in the foster care system find a safe and permanent home.
Call (225) 379-8598.
Cardinal Hospice, 8280 YMCA Drive, No. 3-A, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A free grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
Volunteers are needed to assist patients and their families, or help in the office.
For more information, call (225) 291-3322.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation will hold its fifth annual Uncork the Cure Champagne and Sparkling Wine Tasting event from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday at the Fair Grounds Race Course and Slots Clubhouse in New Orleans.
There will be bubbly, food music, a silent auction and an art auction. Tickets range from $50 to $100.
For more information, call (504) 455-5194.
St. Joseph Hospice Foundation will hold its annual Jambalaya Cookoff Friday. Dinners are $7, and pans will be sold for $35.
Jambalaya will be ready for pick-up at 11:30 a.m. at The Carpenter House, 10615 Jefferson Highway.
For more information or preordering, call (225) 978-2756.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday. Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will hold a breast cancer screening from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Saturday at New Home Family Worship Center, 3000 Tecumseh St.
For more information or an appointment, call (225) 215-1234.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold a free congestive heart failure education and support program from 10 a.m. to noon Monday, Nov. 12, at the medical center, Staff Development Classroom. Topic will be “Braving the Winter” with a food focus on “Serving up the Holidays.”
Free lunch will be provided. Registration is required. Call (225) 654-5263.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential.
Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings.
Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.