Southern University will celebrate its Homecoming 2012 week, “SU: Accepting the Challenge, Making a Difference, Forever United,” beginning Sunday with a number of activites, including a fashion show, an Alumni Open House and a parade, all leading up to the Oct. 13 football game against Texas Southern University.
Here are some of the week’s events as provided by SU’s Department of Media Relations:
- “Sound of Fashion” fashion show in the F.G. Clark Activity Center at 7:30 p.m. $1 donation and open to the public.
n Convocation Ecumenical Service in the Union Royal Cotillion Ballroom at 11 a.m. Free and open to the public.
- Fourth annual art exhibit in the Visual Arts Gallery in Frank Hayden Hall at 6 p.m. Free and open to the public.
- Comedy Show in F.G. Clark Activity Center at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 with ID for public and free to SU students with valid ID.
n BET Black College Tour on Mayberry Lawn from noon to 4 p.m. Free and open to SUBR community.
- Health & Wellness Annual Fair on the SU Museum of Art lawn from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free and open to SUBR community.
- Miss Southern Coronation in the F.G. Clark Activity Center at 7:30 p.m. Mask and formal attire required. Free and open to the public.
n Second line to the annual Pep Rally from the Student Union to Seymour Gym, featuring the Human Jukebox, football team, fall sports, cheerleaders, Gold’N Bluez and special guests, at 11:30 a.m. Pep Rally in Seymour Gym at noon. Free and open to the public.
- Alumni Open House, Alumni House, 124 Roosevelt Steptoe Drive (next to the John B. Cade Library and across from the Law Center), from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Homecoming Concert in the F.G. Clark Activity Center at 7:30 p.m. Free admission for SU students with valid ID and $35 for the public 18 and over with valid ID.
- Reunion Kick-Off presented by Peoples Health in A.W. Mumford Fieldhouse from noon to 2 p.m. Free and open to the public.
- Alumni Roundup, featuring Vick Allen and SU Alum Maya Neiada, in the Union Cotillion Ballroom at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $40.
- Greek Show in the F.G. Clark Activity Center at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $10 at the door. The event is open to the public.
- “Gala on the Bluff,” The Temptations Review featuring Dennis Edwards at the Belle of Baton Rouge. Show starts at 7:30 p.m. Semi-formal event. Tickets are $75.
Saturday, Oct. 13:
- Homecoming Parade begins at 8 a.m. on Harding Boulevard.
- The Southern University School of Nursing’s annual Homecoming Health Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the School of Nursing building on Swan Street.
- Alumni Tailgate from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at School of Nursing lawn.
- Pregame featuring SU Alumni Band at 4:45 p.m. followed by kick-off at 5:30 p.m. at A.W. Mumford Stadium.
For more Homecoming information, call (225) 771-4545.