Louisiana Capital Area CH.A.D.D. (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder) will hold a monthly meeting at 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Families Helping Families Office, 2356 Drusilla Lane.
Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way will hold the following events:
- “Here We Birth Again — Birth Refresher Class for Parents” will be from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday at the hospital, Conference Room 2. Cost is $25 per couple.
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Woman’s Ideal Protein Informational Seminar” will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:15 p.m. Wednesday at Woman’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway.
- “Women Living with Cancer” will be from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at the hospital, First Floor Conference Center.
Register at http://www.womans.org or call (225) 231-5475.
National Alliance on Mental Illness will hold will hold the following events:
- Connection Recovery Support Group meeting for those whose lives are affected by mental illness at 3:30 p.m. Monday at the Denham Springs/Walker Branch of the Livingston Parish Library, 8101 U.S. 90 in Denham Springs. Call (225) 291-6262.
- Family to Family Support Group meeting for family members/caregivers of people with a mental illness at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church, 3240 Dalrymple Drive. Call (225) 273-6061.
- Connection Recovery Support Group meeting for those whose lives are affected by mental illness at 7 p.m. Tuesday at University Presbyterian Church, 3240 Dalrymple Drive. Call (225) 273-6061.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events this week:
- Smoking Cessation Program will meet from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Monday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave, Pennington Cancer Center Conference Room. The program consists of small group sessions that take place over a seven-week period. Registration is required. Call (225) 763-4452.
- Weight Loss Surgery Seminar will meet from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Registration is required. Call (225) 763-4242.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge General, Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd., and at the same time Thursday at the Bluebonnet location. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- “Baby Care Basics” will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, Conference Room 2. Fee is $30 per couple.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing and counseling from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the office. No needles and no blood are necessary, and results are ready in 20 minutes. Call (225) 927-9810 or visit http://www.fsgbr.org.
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St. Syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday.
- Metro Health will also offer testing from 9 a.m. to noon Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave.; 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Earl K. Long Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue; and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Delmont Service Center, 3535 Riley St. Call (225) 338-9333.
Our Lady of the Lake, 7777 Hennessy Blvd., will hold the following free events this week:
- Spine Surgery Seminar will be at 6 p.m. Monday at the medical center Plaza Classroom, Suite 112. This is a free community seminar to learn about the latest advances in minimally invasive spine surgery and whether or not you are a good candidate for these treatments. Seating is limited. Register online at http://www.ololrmc.com or by calling (225) 765-5253.
- A live interactive Weight Loss Surgery Webinar will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Log in by visiting http://www.ololweightloss.com. Call (225) 769-5028.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park.
- After Hours Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the office.
- Ascension Parish Support Group will meet at noon Wednesday at the First United Methodist Church, 224 W. Constitution St., Gonzales.
- Zumba Gold will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park.
- Make Today Count Speaker Meeting will be at noon Thursday at the office.
- Leukemia, Lymphoma, Myelodysplasia Support Group will meet at noon Friday at the office.
Call (225) 927-2273.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday. Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4919 Jamestown, Suite 101, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A support group will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A Tuesday Children’s Support Group for ages 7-12 will meet from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the office. Call to reserve a spot.
- A Tuesday Parent Support Group associated with children younger than age 12 dealing with loss and grief will meet from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. beginning Jan. 11. Call soon.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales.
All support groups are free and confidential. Speakers are available on topics related to grief. Call (225) 924-6621 or visit http://www.grcbr.org.
Helping You Help Yourself, a seminar sponsored by Dutch Physical Therapy and the Livingston Parish Library, will address nonsurgical and surgical treatment options for hip pain at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday at Denham Springs-Walker Branch Library on Florida Boulevard in Denham Springs. For more information, call (225) 588-2068.
Peoples Health will hold the following events this week:
- Cardio Line Dancing will be held at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at YMCA Exxon Mobil, 7717 Howell Blvd. Registration time is 9 a.m., and the reservation deadline is Monday.
- The Works will be held at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at Bally’s Total Fitness, 10000 Perkins Rowe Suite 100. Registration time is 9 a.m., and the registration deadline is Tuesday.
- Immunization Overview will be held at noon Friday at Family Health Center, Second Floor Conference rooms A and B, 3801 North Blvd. Registration time is 11 a.m. The registration deadline is Wednesday.
Visit http://myhealth.peopleshealth.com or call (866) 220-0418.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- Grief support group sessions will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Sunrise Assisted Living, 9351 Siegen Lane, and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Trinity Episcopal Church, 3552 Morning Glory Ave.
- The Hospice of Baton Rouge is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance.
Call (225) 767-4673.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “Adult CPR” will be from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the office. Cost is $70.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED plus Bloodborne Pathogens” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $110.
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 2 at the office. Cost is $90.
Call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave. The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. Call (225) 924-1431.
Depression and Bi-polar Support Alliance will meet from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at La Madeleine Cafe, 7915 Jefferson Highway. Meetings are free and open to family and friends.
Mary Bird Perkins
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center will hold the following events this week:
- Breast cancer screening from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday at ExxonMobil-YMCA, 7717 Howell Blvd. Appointments are required. For more information or an appointment, call (225) 215-1234.
- Breast Cancer Screening from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Wednesday at Dayspring Church, 1715 Highway 30, St. Gabriel.
- Prostate Cancer Screening from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at Wal-Mart, 904 S. Range Ave., Denham Springs.
- Prostate Cancer Screening from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Pointe Coupee General Hospital, 2202 False River Drive, New Roads.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events:
- Caregiver network groups for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Magnolia Assisted Living, 1532 S. Burnside; 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Oakwood Village Assisted Living, 4400 McHugh Road; 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. James Place, Health and Wellness Building/Classroom 1, 333 Lee Drive; 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Denham Springs/Walker Library, 8101 U.S. 19.
- “Sharing the Journey: Resources 101,” a free program designed to educate caregivers and individuals with early stage dementia on how to navigate the library and Internet for resources, will be from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Denham Springs/Walker Branch of the Livingston Parish Library, 8101 U.S. 190, Denham Springs. Call (225) 665-8118.
Lane Regional Medical Center, 6300 Main St., Zachary, will hold the following events this week:
- A free newborn class will be at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Staff Development Classroom at the medical center. Advance reservations are required by calling (225) 654-5263.
- Meet the Newest Docs from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday at the medical center in the Lane Cafeteria. Call (225) 658-4587.
Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive, will hold the following free events this week:
- September Hello Health Seminar: Men’s Urological Health at noon Wednesday at Mansur’s on the Boulevard, 5720 Corporate Blvd. Cost to attend the seminar is $10, which includes lunch. For more information or to RSVP, call 1-866-624-7637.
- Lunch Bunch: SHIIP: Senior Health Insurance Information Program will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday at the medical center, cafeteria.
Co-Dependency Anonymous 12-step meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday at University United Methodist Church, 3350 Dalrymple Drive, Room 204 of the Trice Building. Call (225) 922-9543 for more information, or visit http://www.coda.org.
The LGBTQ Cancer Support Group will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Metropolitan Community Church of Baton Rouge on Tom Drive.
Fibromyalgia Support Group Meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Paul Lutheran Church, 2021 Tara Blvd., with a DVD on depression. Call (225) 752-3162.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A new grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) in Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday. Call (225) 761-0025.
Bergeron’s Cajun Meats and Baton Rouge Speech and Hearing Foundation will host a team bass fishing tournament “Angling Against Autism” on Saturday at Doiron’s Landing, 3185 La. 70, Morgan City. Call (225) 247-9974.
A Gala Luncheon for breast cancer survivors “Perfectly Pink a Luncheon for Life” will be held at 12:30 p.m. Sept. 30 at The Renaissance Hotel, Bourbeau Ballroom, 7000 Bluebonnet Blvd. Tickets are $25 for breast cancer survivors, $40 guest at http://www.komenbatonrouge.org or at the affiliate (225) 246-2977.
Alcoholics Anonymous, a fellowship of men and women who help each other recover from alcoholism, meets daily. Call (225) 930-0026 or visit http://www.aa-batonrouge.org.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Overeaters Anonymous, a 12-step program without dues, fees or diets, holds meetings seven days a week in the greater Baton Rouge area. Call (225) 751-0259 or visit http://www.oabatonrouge.org.
Gamblers Anonymous, a support group for people with gambling problems, holds multiple meetings every week in Baton Rouge, Baker, St. Francisville, Gonzales and Hammond. For dates, times and locations, call (877) 770-STOP or (800) 203-8785.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.