Free tours of the St. Jude Dream Home, 8902 Rockway Drive, Carriagewood Estates subdivision, will be available from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. The home will be given away in a drawing Saturday on WBRZ-TV.
Tickets are $100 and are available at area Citizens Bank and Trust and UPS Store locations. For more information, visit http://www.WBRZ.com.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday. For more information, call (225) 927-9810.
Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following events this week:
- "YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors" will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- Digestive & Urinary Cancer Survivorship Luncheon will be at noon Monday at the office. RSVP to (225) 927-2273.
- "Fit & Fearless," an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- "Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout" will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at BREC Independence Park. Another class will be at 5:15 p.m. Thursday. Registration is required.
- After Hours Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the office.
- Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the office.
- Oral, Head and Neck Support Group will meet at 4 p.m. Wednesday at the office.
- "Zumba Gold" will be at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
For more information, call (225) 927-2273 or visit http://www.cancerservices.org.
Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 4950 Essen Lane, will hold the following events this week:
- A free breast cancer screening will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday at Woman's Hospital, 9050 Airline Highway. Appointments are required.
- A free prostate and skin cancer screening will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday at Stage, 230 Cumberland St., Bogalusa.
- A free breast cancer screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Friday at Gramercy Town Hall, 120 North Montz St., Gramercy. Appointments are required.
- A free breast cancer screening will be from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and noon to 2 p.m. Saturday at LeBlanc's, 2704 West Thomas St., Hammond. Appointments are required.
Call (225) 215-1234.
Baton Rouge General will hold the following events this week:
- Smoking cessation program will meet from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Monday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave., Pennington Cancer Center Conference Room. The General's Stop Smoking program is led by certified smoking cessation facilitators, who help participants find their own way to stop smoking. It consists of small group sessions that take place over a seven-week period. Registration is required by calling (225) 763-4452.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Mid City location, 3600 Florida Blvd. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- CPR for Family and Friends will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Bluebonnet location. Cost is $30 per couple. Register at http://www.BRGeneral.org.
- Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
- PanCan, a support group for pancreatic cancer patients and their families, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, Pennington Cancer Center Conference Room. RSVP to (225) 405-9992.
The Grief Recovery Center, 4919 Jamestown, Suite 101, will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A support group will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday at the office.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 14040 Greenwell Springs.
- A bereavement support group for adults will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Elizabeth Hospital, 1125 W. La. 30, Gonzales.
All support groups are free and confidential.
- Speakers are available on a variety of topics dealing with grief.
For more information, call (225) 924-6621 or visit http://www.grcbr.org.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at the Child and Family Counseling Center. Trained experts can help with alcohol/drug abuse issues and family conflict/violence issues. Services are offered on a sliding-fee scale. For more information, call (225) 924-0123.
Woman's Hospital, 9050 Airline Highway, will hold the following events this week:
- "Prenatal Yoga" will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class. Call (225) 231-5475.
- "Baby Steps," a light exercise class for moms to do with their babies, will be from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class. Call (225) 231-5475.
- "Osteoporosis and You" will be from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday at Woman's Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway. Cost is $30.
- "Strong Mamas," an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class. Call (225) 231-5475.
- A free informational seminar on Woman's Ideal Protein weight-loss program will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday at Woman's Center for Wellness. The program is for men and women.
- "Breastfeeding Tips for Moms on-the-go" will be from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Friday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $20. Call (225) 231-5475.
- "Tyke Hyke," a class designed to help prepare 3-year-olds for the new baby and mom's hospital stay, will be from 9 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 2-3. Cost is $25 per child. Call (225) 231-5475.
- A free Baby & You Orientation Tour will be from 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 2-3, first floor. Call (225) 231-5475.
- "A Baby is Coming - Sibling Preparation for Children 4-8 years" will be from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 2-3, first floor. Cost is $25 per child. Call (225) 231-5475.
For more information or registration, call (225) 924-8709 or visit http://www.womans.org.
The Community Grief Support Group, in partnership with several other local agencies, will meet at noon Tuesday at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave. The group is open to anyone coping with the loss of a loved one. Call (225) 927-2273 for more information.
Capital Area Court Appointed Special Advocates Association, 848 Louisiana Ave., will have an orientation class for those interested in becoming an advocate at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Court Appointed Special Advocates help neglected and abused children in the foster care system find a safe and permanent home. To attend a session, call (225) 379-8598.
"CancerFit," a comprehensive wellness program from Our Lady of the Lake and Mary Bird Perkins designed to help cancer patients stay active and mentally fit, will hold a class, "Imagery and Visualization as Tools for Health Promotion," from 3:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday at Our Lady of the Lake Plaza Diagnostics Building, Suite 112, and 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Friday at Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, Asphodel Room.
Classes are free and include an hour of yoga and guided meditation followed by a 15-minute presentation. For more information or to register, call (225) 938-9629.
DBSA - Depression and Bi-Polar Support Alliance (Opens Arms Chapter) will meet from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday at La Madeleine Café, 7615 Jefferson Highway. The meeting is open to those diagnosed with depression and bi-polar disorder as well as family and friends. Call (225) 275-2778.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- "Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED" will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday at the office. Another class will be offered Saturday. Cost is $110.
- "Adult CPR/AED" will be from 8 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the office. Cost is $70.
- "Adult First Aid/CPR/AED" will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the office. Another class will be offered Tuesday, June 26. Cost is $90.
- "Babysitting" will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, June 25-26, at the office. The two-day camp for ages 11 to 15 teaches life-saving skills including first aid, CPR and care-giving. Cost is $140.
For more information or to register, call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
Remington College - Baton Rouge campus, 10551 Coursey Blvd., will hold a blood drive from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. The blood drive is part of the college's 3 Lives campaign, an effort to increase the number of minority blood donors. Call (800) 448-6405 or visit http://www.3Lives.com.
Survivors of Suicide
Survivors of Suicide, a free support group for people whose lives have been impacted by the loss of a loved one, neighbor, co-worker or friend to suicide, will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Baton Rouge Crisis Intervention Center, 4837 Revere Ave. For more information, call (225) 924-1431.
Alzheimer's Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following events:
- Caregiver network groups for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer's disease or dementia will meet from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the office and 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday at PACE of Baton Rouge, 7436 Bishop Ott Drive.
- "A Time to Remember," a Bourgeois family fundraiser to benefit Alzheimer's Services and Charlie's Place, will be from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, June 24, at the Clarion Inn & Conference Center, La. 30, Gonzales. Admission to the event is $25 and includes a dessert social and silent auction and entertainment by the Center Stage Players. For more information or a ticket, call (225) 675-8367.
The ABC Adoption Search and Reunion Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Trinity Episcopal Church, 3552 Morning Glory Ave. For more information, call (225) 752-3162.
Dutch Physical Therapy, 10343 Siegen Lane, Suite 3-A, and the Livingston Parish Library will host a free seminar on treating arthritis of the foot and ankle at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Denham Springs-Walker Branch, Florida Boulevard, Denham Springs. Jeannie Jo, doctor of podiatric medicine at Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge, and physical therapist Chris Fussell of DPT in Denham Springs will be featured. Reserve a seat by registering at http://www.dutchpt.com or by calling (225) 588-2068.
Co-Dependency Anonymous will have a 12-step - including step 11 - meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday at University United Methodist Church, 3350 Dalrymple Drive, Room 204 of the Trice Building. For more information, call (225) 922-9543 or for literature, visit http://www.coda.org.
Sarcoidosis Awareness Group of Greater Baton Rouge will hold a patient forum at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Ochsner Health Center, fourth-floor conference room, 9001 Summa Ave. To RSVP or for more information, call (225) 773-0985.
Peoples Health will hold the following events:
- "Tune Up for Life - Health Maintenance for Men" will be at noon Wednesday at Family Health Center, 3801 North Blvd. Speaker will be Dr. Vincent Shaw Jr. Reservation deadline is Monday. Registration will be at 11 a.m.
- "Zumba Gold" will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 26, at Bally's Total Fitness, 10000 Perkins Rowe, Suite 100. Reservation deadline is Friday. Registration will be at 9 a.m.
To make reservations for the free events, visit http://www.myhealth.peopleshealth.com or call (866) 220-0418.
Ochsner Medical Center, 17000 Medical Center Drive, will hold the following events this week:
- A community blood drive will be from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday at the clinic, 16777 Medical Center. Appointment times are available. Call (225) 755-9926.
- "Around Baton Rouge" will be held at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Louisiana State Police Training Academy, 7901 Independence Blvd. Meet at Louisiana State Police Training Academy for a facility tour followed by lunch at the academy cafeteria. Members pay for the cost of their lunch. Call (225) 755-4854 to RSVP for the Golden Opportunity program event for adults 50 and older in the Baton Rouge region.
- "GO Road Trip: World War II Museum" will depart at 8 a.m. and return at 5 p.m. Friday to the Ochsner Medical Center - Baton Rouge. The trip will include a viewing of the movie "Beyond All Boundaries."
Following the movie, Golden Opportunity members will have lunch and tour the museum.
Cost is $40 per person and includes tours and transportation. Members are responsible for the cost of their lunch. Call (225) 755-4984 to RSVP.
National Alliance on Mental Illness will hold the following events this week:
- Connection Recovery Support Group, for those whose lives have been affected by mental illness, will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the East Baton Rouge Parish Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road. Call (225) 389-6516.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office. The group is free and open to the community.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O'Donovan Drive, Suite D, will hold free diabetic foot screenings Friday at the office.
A screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and a neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025.
Cardinal Hospice, 8280 YMCA Plaza Drive, Suite 3A, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- Cardinal Hospice is looking for volunteers to assist patients and their families, or volunteer in the office. Call (225) 291-3322.
Movers and Shakers
Movers and Shakers of Baton Rouge, the Saturday Parkinson's disease support group, will meet from 10 a.m. to noon at St. Paul Lutheran Church, corner of Tara Boulevard and Old Hammond Highway. Bring a snack to share. For more information, visit http://www.moversandshakersbr.com.
Amedisys Hospice, 13702 Coursey Blvd., is looking for volunteers to work with patients and their family members with life-limiting illnesses. For more information, call (225) 751-4599.
SouthernCare Hospice, 17316 Airline Highway, Suite P, Prairieville, is collecting items for St. Helena Nursing Home.
The activity department needs games, puzzles, crossword or Word Search books, coloring books, dolls, crayons, arts and crafts supplies, DVDs and any other type of recreation supplies. Deadline for donations is June 30. Call (225) 673-9949.
The Battered Women's Program invites anyone who has suffered or is suffering abuse at the hands of an intimate partner to attend its group meetings. Call (225) 389-3001.
Alcoholics Anonymous, a fellowship of men and women who help each other recover from alcoholism, meets daily. Call (225) 930-0026 or visit http://www.aa-batonrouge.org.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone's problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or check the website, http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Overeaters Anonymous, a 12-step program without dues, fees or diets, holds meetings seven days a week in the greater Baton Rouge area. For details, call (225) 751-0259 or visit http://www.oabatonrouge.org.
Gamblers Anonymous, a support group for people with gambling problems, holds multiple meetings every week in Baton Rouge, Baker, St. Francisville, Gonzales and Hammond. For dates, times and locations, call (877) 770-STOP or (800) 203-8785.
Need help with a drug problem? Narcotics Anonymous holds daily meetings. Call the helpline at (225) 381-9609.