Makes about 2 dozen standard-size muffins. Recipe is from Corinne Cook, who says, “Canned pumpkin, pumpkin spice and fresh apples make these a fall favorite.”
12⁄3 cups flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tbl. pumpkin pie spice
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
2 tbls. sugar, optional for sprinkling over muffin batter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray muffin tins with nonstick coating. Set aside.
2. In medium-large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and sugar. Whisk dry ingredients together then make well in center of dry mixture. Set aside.
3. In separate bowl combine pumpkin, melted butter and eggs. Whisk to combine, then pour into dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
4. Gently fold in chopped apple.
5. Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling about 2⁄3 full. If desired sprinkle a little sugar on top of the muffin batter.
6. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 20 minutes. After baking; remove muffins to cool on wire rack or turn them on their sides to cool in muffin tin. That prevents them from steaming in the pan.