Shrimp Braised in Coconut Milk
Serves 4. Recipe is from Charmaine Dupré, of Ville Platte.
1 lb. large shrimp (with shells)
2 cups water
1 tbl. fresh lime juice
½ tsp. salt
1½ tbls. vegetable oil
1 garlic clove
½ red bell pepper
1 medium onion
1½ tbls. all-purpose flour
1 cup canned whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 cup coconut milk, shaken or stirred well before measuring
Salt and pepper, if desired
3 cups cooked jasmine rice
¼ cup finely sliced scallions or green onion tops
¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro sprigs
1. Peel and devein shrimp and reserve shells. In a small saucepan, simmer shells in 2 cups water for 15 minutes. Pour shrimp broth through a sieve into a large measuring cup. Discard shells.
2. While shells are simmering, in separate bowl, combine shrimp, lime juice and salt. Cover and chill.
3. Chop garlic, bell pepper and onion.
4. Add vegetable oil to 3-quart saucepan and sauté garlic, bell pepper and onion over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Add flour to onion mixture and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, coconut milk and 1 cup shrimp broth (reserving the remaining 1 cup for another use). Simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Add shrimp to vegetable mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
7. To serve in shallow soup bowl, pack hot cooked jasmine rice into an oiled ½-cup ramekin, measuring cup or wine glass. Or you can spray inside of container with nonstick cooking spray then pack rice into it. Turn upside down in bottom of shallow soup bowl. Spoon shrimp and sauce around rice mold.
8. Garnish with light sprinkle of scallions and cilantro. Serve immediately.