Serves 8 to 10. Recipe is by Corinne Cook, who says, “In this recipe, V-8 juice, tomato juice and chicken broth form the base. There is also a cup of purchased mild salsa added. This soup is usually served with crisp, buttered croutons on the top.”
2 cups V-8 juice (I used spicy V-8.)
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup mild salsa
1½ cups chicken broth
1 cup buttered or garlic-and herb-seasoned croutons
1½ red or green bell peppers
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 or 3 cloves, garlic, finely minced
1 tbl. olive oil
2 tbls. red wine vinegar
½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. ground cumin
Tabasco, if desired
Additional buttered or seasoned croutons or diced avocado, for garnish, optional
1. In large bowl, mix V-8 juice, tomato juice and salsa.
2. In a food processor, add chicken broth and croutons. Blend until the croutons are crushed. Add the crushed croutons to the V-8 juice and tomato mixture.
3. In food processor, chop bell pepper and seeded cucumber. Pulsate with on and off button until vegetables are finely chopped. Leave some texture to the vegetables. Add to tomato mixture.
4. Finely mince fresh parsley and garlic. You also can do this in food processor. Add to tomato mixture.
5. Season with olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire and cumin. Taste for seasoning and add Tabasco, if desired. Flavors will improve after mixture chills and sets for 2 or 3 hours.