Chef Tony Matassa’s grilling tips
- Make sure you have ample fuel.
- Make sure grill top is clean and ready to operate.
- Remove equipment you won’t be using, like warmers or extra grill racks.
- Keep all grilling tools in one place.
- Prep all food items before you grill. Proteins should be taken out of the refrigerator and allowed to reach room temperature. Fish that has been sealed in plastic bags can be brought to the right temperature by soaking in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Preheat your grill. Turn all burners on high for 15 to 20 minutes and close the lid. After preheating, lightly cover burners with olive oil. Set control knob to desired cooking temperature.
- Set up a hot side and a warm side on the grill. Cook food on a grill in a left to right/back to front fashion. “You want to always have an out if the meat begins to cook too quickly,” he said.
- Keep lid closed as much as possible. Food will cook faster and more evenly.
- Have a cast-iron skillet on hand for warming marinades or heating sauces.