Jay and Melissa Johnson
Johnson’s Pizza Dough With Topping Suggestions
Makes 5 mini, thin-crust pizzas or 2 large pizzas. Recipe is from Jay and Melissa Johnson.
1 (1/4 -oz.) packet rapid rise yeast
1 cup warm water (not too hot — only about 105 degrees)
1 tsp. sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. honey
1 tbl. olive oil plus some for greasing bowl and brushing over pizzas
1. In small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water (make sure it’s not too hot). Stir in the sugar then allow the yeast to swell up, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. In separate large bowl combine flour and salt. Stir to blend with whisk.
3. Add the dissolved yeast mixture to flour mixture. Add honey and 1 tablespoon olive oil and mix well. Stir then knead with your hands while dough is still in bowl for a couple of minutes, then finish by kneading the dough on a floured board. If dough is sticky, add a little more flour as you knead. You want to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean towel and allow to rise until double in bulk (about 2 hours). Roll as dough to make pizzas as thin or thick as you like them.
5. Add toppings and bake in 425-degree oven until crust is lightly browned around the edges and toppings are bubbly. Let cool just slightly before serving.
- Pepperoni and cheese (always popular) pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices
- Leftover chicken or beef with barbeque sauce, fresh cilantro, sliced red onion and Gouda cheese
- Brush with pesto or olive oil then add marinate artichoke hearts, anchovy slices, sliced white onion, feta cheese, yellow bell pepper slices.
- . Brush with olive oil then add sautéed fresh spinach leaves and garlic, sliced roma tomatoes, a little mozzarella and fresh basil leaves.
- . Brush with olive oil then add either cooked bacon or Canadian bacon, sliced red bell pepper, sliced yellow bell peppers and black olives. Cheese of choice
- . Brush with pesto or olive oil and add sautéed shrimp and mushrooms topped with olives, capers or green onions. Cheese of choice.
- . Use any pesto, olive or artichoke spread, top with sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella, feta or Gruyère cheese.