Cajun Pork Soutache
Serves 6. Recipe developed by Amelia Meaux, of Crowley, is from “Extra, Extra Read More About It!” by Corinne Cook.
1 lb. lean ground pork (You can substitute lean ground beef)
½ cup chopped onion
¼ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 (8-oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, cubed
2 tbls. chopped green onions
2 tbls. chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. filé powder (optional)
1 (8-oz.) can refrigerated Pillsbury Recipe Creations Seamless Dough Sheet
1 egg, beaten
1. Brown pork and drain well. Add onions, green pepper, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cream cheese, green onion, parsley and filé powder. Stir until cream cheese is melted.
4. Unroll dough on lightly greased cookie sheet. Stretch or roll out to about 10- to 12-inch rectangle.
5. Spoon meat mixture down center of dough, leaving 1 inch of dough on both ends and 3 inches of both sides. Cut dough on each side of the filling into ¾-inch diagonal strips, each about 2 inches long. Those measurements do not have to be exact.
6. Brush egg over dough strips. Fold ends of dough over filling. Lay dough strips alternately over filling, forming a roll resembling a braid.
7. Brush dough with beaten egg and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.