Whipped Potatoes With Leeks and Onions
Serves 8. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
8 medium red or white potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
1 (14.5-oz.) can chicken broth
1 can water (fill the chicken broth can)
½ cup liquid from cooking potatoes
½ cup milk with 2 tlbs. butter, warmed until butter is melted
Salt and pepper
2 tbls. butter for caramelizing
1 large onion chopped into ½-inch dice
1 large or 2 small leeks (white part only), rinsed, quartered and sliced
1. Place potatoes in saucepan and add chicken broth. Fill broth can with water and add to broth to cover potatoes. You may need more or less water; just enough to cover potatoes. Bring to boil and simmer until potatoes are tender. When tender drain but reserve ½ cup of the potato water.
2. Place potatoes in mixing bowl and using a mixer or whisk, whip potatoes with ½ cup of the potato water and the warmed milk and butter. Whip until as smooth as you want it. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Spoon into greased 2½-quart baking dish. Set aside while onions caramelize. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. In large sauté pan or skillet, heat butter until bubbly. Add onions and leeks. Season lightly with salt. Stir to coat with butter. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often until lightly browned.
4. Place a ring of onion-leek mixture around top edge of whipped potatoes.
5. Place in preheated 325-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.