New York, New York Cheesecake (with fresh berry garnish)
Serves 16-20. Recipe is from “Extra! Extra! Read All About It!” by Corinne Cook.
1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup melted butter
2 lbs. cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1½ cups sour cream
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
About 2½ cup of fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, pineapple or a mix of your favorites).
1. Mix crumbs, sugar and butter together. Press crumbs in bottom and about 1/2-inch up the sides of a 9- or 10-inch springform pan). The crumbs on the sides do not have to be even; you just want them to come up a little from the bottom. Chill crumb crust while you prepare filling.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Beat cream cheese at medium speed. Gradually add sugar and one egg at a time. Beat until very light and creamy. Add the vanilla.
4. Pour mixture into prepared crumb-lined pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Mix the topping.
6. Stir topping ingredients lightly until mixed. Spread over top of cake and place in 450-degree oven for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and cool on rack until completely cooled. Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours. If desired, garnish with fresh fruit.