Cynthia L. Nobles
Chocolate Mint Cookies
Makes 120 cookies. Recipe is by Cynthia L. Nobles.
31/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsps. baking soda
1 tsp. iodized salt
2 cups sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
3 tbls. water
30 ozs. semisweet chocolate chips
5 tbls. vegetable shortening
3/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in egg. On low speed, blend in flour mixture and water. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic and chill 1/2 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Working with half of dough at a time, between two sheets of wax paper, roll dough 1/4-inch thick. Cut out rounds with a 11/2-inch round cookie cutter. Reroll scraps and cut more cookies.
4. Place 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Cool completely on a rack.
5. Make mint coating by melting chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or in the microwave. When completely melted, stir in peppermint extract.
6. Using a fork, dip each cooled cookie in mint coating. Shake off excess coating, place on parchment paper and refrigerate until firm.