Tuna, Noodle & Cheese Casserole
Serves 8. Recipe is from Rose Lorio.
3 or 4 tbls. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 (10.75-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 (12-oz.) can tuna (white or light), drained
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 (5-oz.) can evaporated milk (2⁄3 cup)
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
½ bag of uncooked noodles (roughly 4 to 5 ozs.)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. Melt butter in large skillet and sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic until vegetables are tender. Stir in cream of mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce and drained tuna.
2. In small bowl, whisk egg and evaporated milk together. Stir into tuna mixture. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Heat over low heat until mixture is heated through, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, measure out noodles and cook according to package directions, drain.
4. Spray 3-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half the noodles in the bottom of the dish; add a layer of half the tuna mixture and half the cheese. Repeat with another layer of noodles, tuna mixture and cheese.
5. Bake in preheated 325-degree oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly.