Profiteroles With Chocolate Sauce
Makes about 36 pastries (3 per serving). Recipe is from Brendan Coughlin, of Lincoln, Mass. The recipe is an old family favorite of Coughlin, who thinks he may have found it years ago in a food magazine.
1 cup milk
3 tbls. unsalted butter
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
Egg wash (1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbl. water)
Vanilla ice cream
Chocolate Sauce (recipe follows)
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine milk with butter, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Remove from heat and add flour all at once. Stir mixture vigorously until dough pulls away from side of pan, about 30 seconds.
3. Cook dough over medium heat until bottom of pan is coated with a floury film, about 2 minutes. Transfer dough to a large bowl or the bowl of a standing electric mixer. Using medium mixer speed, add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and beating dough until smooth.
4. Spoon dough into a pastry bag or a 1 -gallon zip-top plastic bag with a 1/2-inch hole cut at corner. Pipe pastry into tablespoon-sized mounds on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of mounds with egg wash.
5. Bake pastry 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Turn off oven and prop oven door open. Let puffs dry in oven 30 minutes. (Can be baked a day ahead, stored airtight. Can also be frozen. Defrost and reheat in a 350-degree oven 5 to 10 minutes.)
6. Using a small, sharp knife, split each puff horizontally. Spoon ice cream into pastry bottoms and cap with reserved tops. Sift with confectioners’ sugar.
7. Spoon Chocolate Sauce onto plates. Place filled puffs onto top of chocolate and serve.
Makes 21/2 cups. Recipe is from Brendan Coughlin, of Lincoln, Mass.
1/2 lb. semisweet chocolate
2 cups milk
3 tbls. sugar
3 large egg yolks
1. Combine first three ingredients into saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add boiling chocolate in thin stream, whisking continually.
3. Strain sauce through a fine sieve. Cool slightly before serving.