Gluten-Free Chocolate Sunflower Butter Pie
Makes one 10-inch pie. Recipe is provided by Mary Frances Landry from “Gluten-Free Baking for the Holidays” by Jeanne Sauvage.
For the Flour Mix:
11/2 cups brown rice flour
11/2 cups white rice flour
1 cup sweet rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
2 scant tsps. xantham gum
Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until blended. Put into a sealed container and keep in fridge for 4 months or in a dark, cool place for 6 weeks.
For the crust:
11/2 cups Flour Mix
1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tbls. heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Grease and flour a 10-inch pie pan. Place the flour, cocoa, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like wet pebbles.
2. Add the cream and vanilla and beat until the mixture comes together and looks like coarse meal. Place the dough into the prepared pan and press onto the bottom and sides. Do not cover the rim.
3. Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the pan from the fridge and prick the crust with a fork. Bake until a little more brown, about 15 minutes. Cool crust completely, about 45 minutes, before using.
For the filling:
8 ozs. cream cheese
2 tbls. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbl. vanilla
1 cup sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add melted butter and continue to beat to combine.
2. Increase the speed to medium, add the sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the butter and beat for 1 minute.
3. In a separate large bowl, using a hand mixer on medium-high speed, beat the cream until it forms stiff peaks. This takes about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and continue beating.
4. Add 1/4 cup of the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream mixture and whisk to combine. Add the remaining cream cheese mixture and, using a rubber spatula, fold together until combined. Scrape the filling into the crust and refrigerate 30 minutes.
For the ganache:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a small sauce pan, heat the cream over low heat until it just boils. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips and let stand for 1 minute. Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Cool a bit until the ganache is warm, not hot, and still pourable.
2. Remove the chilled crust and filling from the refrigerator and carefully pour the ganache over the middle of the pie. Smooth toward the edges, leaving a 1-inch border uncovered. You will notice once you pour the ganache on the pie, it really starts to thicken. Return pie to the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
3. Store, tightly covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Use toothpicks to keep any wrapping from touching the ganache.