Junior League of Baton Rouge
Recipe provided by Mrs. William R. Smith is on Page 175 of “River Roads Recipes,” the original “textbook of Louisiana cuisine” originally published by the Junior League of Baton Rouge in 1959.
½ cup shortening
1½ cups sugar
2 beaten eggs
2 cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. soda
¼ cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Cream shortening and sugar. Add beaten eggs.
2. Add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, banana and vanilla.
3. Fill greased muffin tins half full. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 20 minutes. This may also be baked in two 8-inch pans at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
4. Cool and ice with Caramel Icing.
Recipe provided by Mrs. Frank Middleton Jr. is on Page 187 of “River Road Recipes.”
3 cups sugar, divided
1 stick butter
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Combine 2½ cups sugar, the butter and milk in a 3- or 4-quart pot and begin cooking.
2. Brown remaining ½ cup sugar in skillet and add to the syrup already cooking. Cook to 238 degrees (soft ball stage). Remove from heat; cool; add vanilla, and heat to consistency for spreading. If icing becomes too stiff, a little cream may be added to thin.