Sylvia’s Fresh Peach Pie
Makes 1(8- or 9-inch) pie. Recipe is from Sylvia Woodward. The number of peaches used depends on how big the peaches are. You will need enough to fill the pie shell about halfway up plus enough for 2 cups of mashed peaches. Amounts do not have to be exact.
1 pie crust, your homemade recipe or ready-to-use pie crust, fitted in pie pan and baked. (I used the Pillsbury already rolled-out pie crust and topped the edges with small cutouts from the second sheet of pastry. Prepare and bake according to package directions. Cool.)
4 to 5 peaches, peeled and sliced to partially fill the baked and cooled pie crust
2 cups mashed peaches (4 to 5 medium)
1¼ cups sugar, a little less if desired
4 to 5 tbls. cornstarch
¾ cup water
Pinch of nutmeg, optional
½ tsp. almond extract, optional
1. Prepare pie crust according to instructions and bake. Cool.
2. Peel and slice enough peaches to generously line baked pie crust about halfway up. Sprinkle peaches with sugar.
3. Place mashed peaches in a separate medium saucepan.
4. In small bowl, add cornstarch and slowly whisk in water to blend. Slowly pour over mashed peaches, stir and cook over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and begins to boil and appears translucent. Remove from heat.
5. Stir in nutmeg and extract if desired. Cool slightly, then pour over peaches in pie crust and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
6. Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream and serve.