Make about 24 cookies depending on sizes of cookie cutters. Recipe, provided by Maria Darden, is from Kathy Broha.
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. colorless vanilla extract
2 tsps. baking powder
3 cups flour
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tbls. meringue powder
4 tbls. water (add more to make flow icing)
1. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
2. In large bowl, cream sugar and egg with electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla.
3. Sift together baking powder and flour. Mix in flour mixture 1 cup at a time.
4. Make two dough balls. On sheet of parchment paper, dust with flour and confectioners’ sugar and roll dough to 1⁄ 8-inch thickness. Cut dough into shapes and slide onto parchment-covered cookie sheet.
5. Slide cookie stick into each cookie. Seal with a pinch of water where cookie meets stick.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just light brown. Cool completely on wire racks before icing.
7. For icing: With mixer speed set on low, mix confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder and water. Add food coloring.