Coffee and Chocolate Brownies
Makes 24 brownies. Recipe is by Cynthia LeJeune Nobles, who says, “Coffee intensifies the flavor of chocolate.”
1¼ cups cocoa powder, divided
2 tbls. instant coffee granules
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tbl. vanilla
¼ tsp. almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9x13-inch baking pan and coat with ¼ cup cocoa powder. In a small bowl, mix coffee granules with 1 tablespoon hot water and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat. Pour into a large bowl. Add sugar and prepared coffee concentrate. Cool 5 minutes.
3. Stir in remaining 1 cup cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add vanilla, almond extract and flour and beat well until combined. Stir in semisweet chocolate chips.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread top evenly. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Cool completely before cutting.