The Wait Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) 4-layer cake. Recipe is adapted from “Extra! Extra! Read All About It!” by Corinne Cook.
1 (18.5-oz.) pkg. butter-flavored cake mix (I used Duncan Hines brand.)
1 cup sugar
1 (16-oz.) carton sour cream
2 (6-oz.) pkgs. fresh-frozen grated coconut, thawed
1½ cups nondairy whipped topping, thawed
1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Make 2 (8-inch) layers. When completely cooked, split layers horizontally to make 4 thin layers.
2. Mix sugar, sour cream and coconut together. Chill.
3. Reserve 1 cup of the coconut-sour cream mixture for frosting the cake. Spread remainder between the layers.
4. Combine reserved sour cream-coconut mixture with whipped topping. Blend until smooth.
5. Spread over top and sides of cake. Seal cake in airtight container and refrigerate for 2 days before serving.