Fiesta Chicken, Rice and Bean Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings. Recipe is from Nestlé.
2 cups water
2 tsps. Maggi Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
3/4 cup long-grain white rice
2 tbls. butter
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
1 to 2 tsps. ground cumin
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups cooked, chopped or shredded chicken breast meat (about 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeños
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed well and drained
11/2 cups frozen, thawed corn, drained
2 tbls. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13-inch or 3-quart casserole dish.
2. Bring water and bouillon to a boil in medium saucepan. Add rice; cover. Reduce heat to low; cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender and most of liquid is absorbed (the rice will continue to cook in the casserole).
3. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
4. Whisk together evaporated milk and eggs; stir into saucepan along with prepared rice, chicken, cheese, beans and corn. Spoon into prepared dish.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and edges are golden. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.
For freeze ahead:
Prepare as above, using two 2-quart casserole dishes; do not bake or sprinkle with cilantro. Allow casserole to cool to room temperature. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then with aluminum foil; freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Uncover. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.