Layered Rice, Pesto and Pepper Bake
Serves 6. Recipe is from the USA Rice Federation.
3 cups cooked rice
1¾ cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Nonstick vegetable cooking spray
½ cup prepared basil pesto sauce, divided
4 ozs. crumbled goat or feta cheese, divided
10 ozs. roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Recipe calls for 7-inch springform pan or soufflé dish. I used a 9-inch springform pan and just made one layer of rice, pesto and peppers.
2. Combine rice, 1½ cups Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Spray a 7-inch diameter springform pan (or a 9-inch springform) with cooking spray.
3. If using the smaller pan, you can make two layers of rice, pesto and pepper, but make only one layer of each if using a larger pan.
4. Pat down rice evenly in bottom of pan. Spread ½ cup pesto over rice. Sprinkle with goat or feta cheese. Top with drained, roasted red peppers. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese over peppers.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
Note: Dish may be assembled ahead of time, covered and refrigerated. Uncover to bake.