Morning Glory Muffins
Makes 30 muffins. Recipe published in “The Garden of Eatin’!” by St. Paul’s Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in New Roads and St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Morganza is from Leon Peterson and submitted by Babs Tullos.
4 cups flour
2½ cups sugar
4 tsps. soda
4 tsps. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
4 cups coarsely grated carrots
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated
1 cup raisins (dark or white)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup grated coconut
2 cups vegetable oil
6 large eggs
2 tsps. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins with butter and set aside.
2. In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in carrots, apples, raisins, pecans and coconut.
3. In another bowl, whisk oil, eggs and vanilla together.
4. Add to flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
5. Spoon into well-greased muffin tins to the top. Fill almost to the top of the muffin tin.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes.
Note: These muffins freeze well.