Best Blueberry Muffins
Makes 12 muffins. Recipe is from “Southern Cooking With Blueberries” by the Miss-Lou Blueberry Growers Association. Use fresh or frozen blueberries in this recipe. If your berries are frozen, no need to thaw them first.
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (see note)
1 tbl. plus 1¾ cups flour, divided
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
¾ tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
½ tsp. vanilla, optional
1⁄3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 12 (2½-inch) muffin cups.
2. In a small bowl, toss blueberries with the 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the 1¾ cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, beat egg; stir in sour cream, vanilla and milk; stir into the flour mixture until just combined (batter will be lumpy).
5. Stir in the reserved blueberries just until evenly distributed.
6. Fill muffin cups 2⁄3 full with batter.
7. Bake until golden, about 18 to 20 minutes.
Note: When baking, stir unthawed blueberries lightly dusted with flour into batter.