September 12, 2012
Smoked Brisket in the Oven
Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is by chef Chris Wadsworth, of Restaurant IPO.
1 (4- to 5-lb.) brisket
12 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup mustard
1/4 cup seasoning blend
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup liquid smoke
1 cup root beer
4 cups water
1. Place brisket on cutting board, fat side down. Using a small utility knife, cut 12 slits in the meat side, large enough to insert garlic cloves.
2. After inserting cloves sporadically through the brisket, rub both sides with mustard and seasoning blend.
3. Press brown sugar down on both sides of brisket and turn meat-side-down in a small pan.
4. Place the small pan into a larger pan and pour all the liquid into the bottom of a large pan to prevent brisket from sitting in liquid during cooking.
5. Wrap pans two times with clear wrap, insuring no leaks, then two times with foil for a final seal.
6. Place in oven at 250 degrees for 4 hours.
7. Remove from oven and cut wrappings. Be careful of escaping steam.
8. Cool, slice and serve.