Lacerto (Italian Roast)
Serves 8 to 10. Recipe is by Tullio Saffiotti, who suggests serving it with Chianti Classico Riserva, Tuscany, Italy, or Etna Rosso, Sicily, Italy.
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
3 green onions tops, coarsely chopped
¼ lb. provolone cheese, cut into ¼-inch cubes
¼ lb. ham, cut into ¼-inch cubes
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
1 tsp. salt
1 (4- to 5-lb.) eye round roast
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 to 5 tbls. olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
2 lbs. onions, sliced
Beef stock, as needed
15 ozs. frozen or canned small peas
1. Mix all the stuffing ingredients.
2. Prepare the roast. Create a cavity for stuffing through the center by twisting a 1½-inch knife blade through the center working from both ends until a cavity has been created. Fill the cavity with the stuffing. (Cavity can be increased in size depending on amount of stuffing desired.)
3. Salt and pepper outside of roast and tie with string so it retains round, long shape. Lightly flour the roast and brown in olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot.
4. Remove browned roast from pot and deglaze pot with wine.
5. Add sliced onions to the pot and brown until tender; add beef stock as needed if it becomes too dry.
6. Arrange onions in the pot into a bed for the roast and return roast to the pot. Slow cook for 20 to 25 minutes per pound on low-medium heat, being careful not to burn the onions. Remove roast from pot and place on platter. Slice so stuffing is in middle of each piece.
7. Add peas to the pot and cook with onions until heated thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon onions and peas over sliced roast and serve.