Woodward’s Baked Ham
Servings determined by size of ham. Recipe is from Sylvia Woodward. She likes the Cook’s brand Butt Portion Ham.
2 cups brown sugar
1 tbl. flour
1 tbl. white vinegar
2 tbls. yellow mustard
Cooked grits, optional
1. Remove ham from wrapping. Rinse and pat dry with paper towel.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place ham, cut side down, in shallow baking pan. Cover loosely with piece of foil. Calculate baking time at 15 minutes per pound of ham then figure 30 minutes before ham is done and set timer.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl mix brown sugar, flour, vinegar and yellow mustard together. This should be a rather dry paste. If it looks too dry to hold together at all, add a bit more vinegar, mustard or a drop of water.
4. Thirty minutes before ham is done, remove ham from oven (but leave oven on) and score top of ham in diamond pattern. Slather paste over top of ham and continue baking for the final 30 minutes. Let stand 10 to 12 minutes before carving
5. If you want to make “sweet gravy” to serve over the ham slices or over cooked grits, thin pan drippings with water and stir until smooth.