Louisiana Seafood Appetizer Medley
Serves 16. Recipe is from Pointe Coupee Parish 4-H.
For the Crawfish Cakes:
3/4 cup fat-free saltine crackers
1 tbl. Dijon mustard
2 tbls. nonfat yogurt
1/2 tbl. horseradish
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fat-free shredded cheese
1 lb. crawfish, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbl. lemon juice
2 tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
Parsley for garnish
1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except the oil and garnish. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Remove mixture from refrigerator and make into small, palm-sized cakes.
3. In a large nonstick electric skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook cakes for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
4. Serve with Lemon Cream Sauce, below, and garnish with parsley.
For the Lemon Cream Sauce:
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbl. shallots, minced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbls. butter
2 tbls. lemon juice
1. In a medium-sized sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
2. Add the half-and-half and bring to a boil. Lower the heat slightly and simmer until reduced by half, or 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the hot sauce, lemon juice and cayenne pepper. Add the butter and cook, stirring, until incorporated and thick.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice.
For the Shrimp and Corn Bisque:
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 stick of butter
11/2 lbs. shrimp, peeled
2 cups sweet corn
1/2 (14.5-oz.) can seasoned tomatoes
1/2 lb. of 2% processed cheese
10 ozs. evaporated milk
1 pint of half-and-half
Seafood seasoning to taste
1. Sauté onion, garlic and butter until vegetables soften. Add shrimp and stir until the shrimp are pink.
2. Add corn and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and add remaineder of ingredients. Cook until cheese is melted. Add seasoning and serve.
For the Spring Mix Garlic and Herb Vinaigrette Salad:
Garlic and herb salad seasoning, to taste
1⁄8 cup rice vinegar
11/2 tbls. water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix seasoning, vinegar and water until well blended. Add oil and mix until well blended.