Fiery Fiesta Empanadas
Makes 4 empanadas. Recipe is from Tabasco.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter or margarine, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 tbls. water
1 lb. ground beef
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup taco sauce
1/4 cup pitted ripe olives, chopped
4 tsps. Tabasco green jalapeño pepper sauce, divided
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1. Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough sticks together.
2. On lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out half of dough until 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into two 7-inch rounds. Repeat with remaining dough and scraps. Cover; set aside.
3. Cook ground beef and garlic in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned on all sides stirring occasionally to break up beef.
4. Stir in scallions, taco sauce, olives, 3 teaspoons green jalapeño pepper sauce, oregano, cumin and salt until well blended. Stir in cheese.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease large cookie sheet. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling on half of each round, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
7. Brush border with egg mixture.
8. Fold dough over filling pressing out air. Crimp edges with fork or fingers to seal.
9. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes or until golden.