Everett J. Bonner Jr.
Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is from Everett J. Bonner Jr.
2 lbs. (15-20 count) shrimp
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsps. sea salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Louisiana-brand hot sauce (Crystal preferred)
Cayenne Pepper, optional
1 bottle or jar chunky blue cheese dressing
1 large pkg. celery sticks
1. Remove heads and peel raw shrimp down to the tail section (remove legs and leave tail only).
2. Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour into a separate bowl. Mix cornmeal, and salt and pepper in another bowl. Dip shrimp into flour to coat. Then dip the shrimp into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in cornmeal until completely coated.
3. In a large skillet, pour canola oil (enough so that there is 1 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium-high heat. Place shrimp into the frying pan in batches of 12, depending on the size of your skillet.
4. When the shrimp are golden brown, drain them on paper towels.
5. The sauce: melt butter over medium heat in heavy saucepan and add hot sauce once melted. Stir until mixture is completely incorporated. Add cayenne pepper (optional) to mixture if you want that extra burn. Turn off heat.
6. Place dried shrimp into saucepan until completely covered with sauce. Remove from saucepan and serve on platter with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.