king arthur flour
Cheddar, Bacon and Scallion Scones
Makes 8 large scones. Recipe is from King Arthur Flour.
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbl. baking powder
2 tsps. sugar
4 tbls. (1/2 stick, 2 ounces) cold butter
1 cup very coarsely grated or diced cheddar cheese
1⁄3 cup snipped fresh chives, or finely diced scallion tops (the green part)
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup plus 2 tbls. heavy cream or whipping cream, or enough to make the dough cohesive
1. Preheat oven to 425 degress. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
2. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Work the butter into the flour until the mixture is unevenly crumbly, with some of the butter remaining in larger pieces. Mix in the cheese, chives and bacon until evenly distributed.
3. Add ¾ cup of the cream, stirring to combine. Try squeezing the dough together; if it’s crumbly and won’t hang together, or if there are crumbs remaining in the bottom of the bowl, add cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the shaggy dough to a well-floured work surface.
4. Pat the dough into a smooth 7-inch disk about ¾-inch thick. Transfer the disk to the prepared baking sheet. Use a knife or bench knife to cut the disk into 8 wedges, spreading the wedges apart a bit on the pan. Brush the scones with a bit of cream; this will help their crust brown.
5. Bake the scones for 22 to 24 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool right on the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.