THROUGH SUNDAY, MAY 12
- CONTRABAND DAYS LOUISIANA PIRATE FESTIVAL: See modern day “pirates” in full regalia on boats out on the lake, and hear the cannon fire as Lake Charles residents try to defend the seawall from the “pirates.” The mayor is “captured, put on trial and sent to the lake!” Carnival rides, games, entertainment, live music on multiple stages. http://www.contrabanddays.com
FRIDAY-SUNDAY, MAY 3-5
- NEW ORLEANS JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL: Fairground Racetrack, 1751 Gentilly Blvd., New Orleans. Continuous musical performances on 12 stages, with acts including Maroon 5, Fleetwood Mac, The Black Keys, and many more. Food, arts and crafts and educational programs. (504) 410-4100 or http://www.nojazzfest.com.
- BREAUX BRIDGE CRAWFISH FESTIVAL: Festival grounds, Breaux Bridge. Crawfish races, music, food, Cajun and zydeco dance contests, crawfish etouffee cook-off, arts and crafts, carnival midway, crawfish eating contest, parade. Admission: $5, Friday; $10, Saturday; $45, Sunday; $15, advance three-day pass. http://www.bbcrawfest.com.
- TOMATO FESTIVAL: Our Lady of Prompt Succor Catholic Church and School, 2305 Fenelon St., Chalmette. Sample grilled and raw oysters on the half-shell, jambalaya, shrimp pasta, and Tomato-a-la-Chalmette while listening to live entertainment from popular local and nationally known bands. (504) 250-9151 or email email@example.com.
SATURDAY, MAY 4
- BUNK FEST BEST BLUES, BEANS, JAZZ & PEAS CONTESTIVAL: 3 p.m.-9 p.m., Steamboat Pavilion, Bouligny Plaza, 102 W. Main St., New Iberia. Honored the late jazz musician William G. “Bunk” Johnson. (337) 560-5595 or http://www.bunkjohnson.com
SUNDAY, MAY 5
- FAMILY FESTIVAL: Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, 11140 La. 77, Maringouin. Barbecue chicken dinners for $7 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Raffle for $1,000, bingo, face painting. Bingo 7 p.m. Friday, with social and refreshments at 5 p.m. (225) 625-2438
THURSDAY-SUNDAY, MAY 9-12
- COCHON DE LAIT FESTIVAL: downtown Masura. Cajun food, fun and music with cochon de lait (French for roast suckling pig). Also, a giant midway, nightly street dances, contests, parade, arts/crafts booths and more. http://www.cochondelaitfestival.com/