This season, as part of the Swine Palace New Play Festival, the resident ensemble will perform 11 original one-act plays beginning Tuesday, Jan. 15, and running through Sunday, Jan. 20. The festival will conclude Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 26-27.
All performances will take place in the Studio Theatre in the LSU Music and Dramatic Arts Building on Dalrymple Drive on campus.
Admission is free.
Master of fine arts candidates from the LSU Theatre Department create the Swine Palace resident ensemble and as such, perform in most of Swine Palace’s productions. These works are conceived, written and staged by each individual artist as part of a requirement to receive the MFA degree.
These workshop performances range from a musical tribute to the Long Gone Lonesome Boys to explorations of childhood memory and fantasy. Subjects examined by these pieces include the recent trend of the “trash the dress” wedding art, as well as provocative social and political. They incorporate many theatrical styles such as physical theater and stand-up comedy. Each show will premier three unique performances drawn from the life, experience and imagination of the resident acting artists, with each program presented for a second performance during the festival week.
The following is the schedule:
- 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, Voices in my Head by Anthony McMurray; Face with Faces by Don Watkins; Trash the Dress by Kristina Sutton.
- 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 16, A Single Revolution of the Sun by Greg Leute; Gallows Man by Jason Bayle; Behind the Vote by Jenny Ballard.
- 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, Curry Bowl by Jessica Jain, Turkey Boys by Nic Hamel.
- 7:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, Voices in My Head by Anthony McMurray, Face with Faces by Don Watkins, Trash the Dress by Kristina Sutton.
- 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, Bear with Me by Chia Wen Hsu, Habitat Five: The Children’s Crusade by Katrina Despain, Sic Semper Tyrannis by Benjamin Koucherik.
- 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, Curry Bowl by Jessica Jain, Turkey Boys by Nic Hamel.
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, Bear with Me by Chia Wen Hsu, Habitat Five: The Children’s Crusade by Katrina Despain, Sic Semper Tyrannis by Benjamin Koucherik.
- 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, A Single Revolution of the Sun by Greg Leute, Gallows Man by Jason Bayle, Behind the Vote by Jenny Ballard.
The Swine Palace New Play Series will conclude the following week, Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 26-27, with a staged reading of Gizmo, a new play by Anthony Clarvoe, also created by the resident ensemble under the direction of MFA candidate Jason Bayle.
For more information, call (225) 578-9277.
LSU Department of Theatre