Julie Doucet, an archaeological consultant with the LSU Rural Life Museum, will discuss Chatsworth Plantation during an Oct 16 program at the Ascension Parish Library’s Galvez branch.
Doucet was part of a archaeological survey done on the site of Chatsworth Planation, which includes a 19th century sugar mill.
The program starts at 6:30 p.m.
Chatsworth Plantation, built in 1859, is on the east bank of the Mississippi in East Baton Rouge Parish. It encompassed 575 acres of land along Nicholson Drive. Until the 1780s, the property was the site of a Native American village.
LSU and the LSU Rural Life Museum recently partnered with L’Auberge Baton Rouge to ensure the preservation and interpretation of artifacts found on the property, according to a news release.
The library program is part of a statewide series presented in conjunction with the Louisiana Division of Archaeology’s annual celebration of Archaeology Month.
The program is free and open to the public.
For more information or to register, call (225) 622-3339.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved