Mandeville police booked three people Monday in a series of recent car burglaries in Old Mandeville.
The three were arrested after a month-long investigation, Sticker said. The burglaries occurred in the late night or early morning hours along Monroe and Marigny streets. Almost all of the burgled cars had been left unlocked, Sticker said.
Other counts could be forthcoming, Sticker said. Information on bail was not immediately available.
The Louisiana Supreme Court on Monday agreed that former Tulane football standout Ray Boudreaux deserves a new trial, five years after he was convicted of attempted manslaughter for slashing four people during a Bourbon Street knife fight.
Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Judge Arthur Hunter scrapped Boudreaux’s 2008 conviction and 10-year sentence this summer.
Boudreaux had requested his conviction be overturned on the grounds that his defense attorneys failed him. He said they neglected to present a surveillance video from a nearby nightclub or call eyewitnesses who might have bolstered his claim he was defending himself against an angry mob.
Hunter agreed, to the chagrin of District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro. Cannizzaro’s office appealed the ruling to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeal, which upheld Hunter earlier this month.
The district attorney then appealed to the Louisiana Supreme Court, but on Monday it declined to intervene.
Hunter will soon schedule a new trial for Boudreaux, who has served less than a year in prison since his 2008 arrest.
Hunter released him on an appeal bond after his conviction. Boudreaux finally reported to jail in November 2012.
Earlier this month, Hunter slashed his bond from $425,000 to $100,000 while he awaits his new trial. Boudreaux posted the $100,000 bond Friday and was again released from Orleans Parish Prison.
Arnold Ross, convicted in June in the 2009 beating death of an 8-month-old boy he was babysitting in Gretna, was sentenced to life in prison Monday for second-degree murder and sexual battery.
Ross, who is now 21 but was 17 at the time of the crime, got a life sentence for the second-degree murder charge and 10 years for sexual battery, to run concurrently. The latter charge was related to Ross’ insertion of his towel-wrapped fingers into the rectum of the infant, Da-Von Lonzo.
Ross’ attorney had argued he was trying to stop the baby from defecating, and he struck the child accidentally.
Ross’ sentence is believed to be the first in Louisiana since state law changed to reflect a U.S. Supreme Court decision that mandatory life sentences without parole for 17-year-olds are unconstitutional.
Ross will be eligible for parole after he serves 35 years.
Gunfire on Monday evening wounded one man on a 7th Ward street corner and another who was playing football in Algiers, police said.
The first shooting happened about 5:45 p.m. near St. Bernard Avenue and North Roman Street, said Officer Frank Robertson, a Police Department spokesman. The victim, who was shot in the side, was being treated at a local hospital.
His wound was not serious, Robertson said.
Just before 7 p.m. in the 1300 block of Southlawn Boulevard, a bullet grazed a 19-year-old man in the head. Robertson said the man was playing football when a car drove by and someone inside opened fire. The victim, who was alert and talking, was in good condition at a local hospital.
Police did not immediately have a suspect or motive in either shooting.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved