Betty Starnes’ Seafood Squash Dressing
Serves 8. Recipe is from Betty Starnes, who did not initially add seafood to this dish but says once she did it became a family favorite and one of her signature dishes. She usually makes it with shrimp, but sometimes uses crawfish tails or crab meat instead.
6 cups sliced squash (about 2 lbs.)
2 cups water
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup butter, melted
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 tsp. Beau Monde seasoning
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. thyme
1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1⁄8 3 3tsp. Tabasco
1½ lbs. shrimp, sautéed until pink, or 1 lb. crawfish tails or crab meat
1. Combine squash and water in a Dutch oven and cook until just tender. Drain well.
2. In Dutch oven, sauté onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic in butter until tender.
3. Add squash and egg to vegetable mixture. Stir in bread crumbs, cheese, Beau Monde seasoning, salt, black pepper and thyme. Add cayenne pepper and Tabasco.
4. Stir in shrimp, crawfish or crab meat.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish.
6. Bake in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Note: Only the shrimp has to be sautéed before adding it to the casserole; not the crawfish or crab meat.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved