Livingston Parish calendar for Sept. 5, 2013
- APPLIED SUICIDE INTERVENTION SKILLS TRAINING: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Livingston Literacy and Technology Center, 9261 Florida Blvd., Walker. The free training provides a practical, face-to-face model for caregivers to follow when intervening with a suicidal person. The two-day workshop will continue Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the center. Participants should bring lunch. Continuing Education Credits are provided for those who remain for the complete two days of training. Pre-registration is required by e-mailing registration forms to Jaime.email@example.com.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch, 26941 La. 43. (225) 567-1441.
- SHARING THE JOURNEY OF ALZHEIMER’S RESOURCES 101: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch, 8101 U.S. 190. Alzheimer’s Services representatives will lead free, supportive workshops for caregivers and individuals with dementia each Thursday in September. This week’s workshop will address dementia care. Registration is required. (225) 665-8118.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch, 20390 Iowa St. The free conversational English class is open to non-native English speakers at all levels of ability. (225) 686-2436.
- MUSIC RECORDING SESSION: 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch, 36581 Outback Road. (225) 664-3693.
- YOUNG WRITERS CLUB: 5 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The club is open to writers, ages 10 to 17, who want to write for publication or performance.
- OPEN MIC NIGHT: 5:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch. Patrons can sing, recite poetry or tell a story in front of an audience.
- ADULT WRITERS CIRCLE: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The club is open to adult writers, published and unpublished, who want to learn more about writing and publishing/self-publishing.
- COMPUTER BASICS: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch and Watson Library Branch. The computer class is free.
BARBECUE CHICKEN SALE: 11 A.M. TO 2 P.M., ARPADHON CULTURAL BUILDING, 29025 LA. 43, ALBANY. THE AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY UNIT 258 OF SPRINGFIELD WILL SPONSOR A BARBECUE CHICKEN DINNER SALE TO BENEFIT VETERANS. DINNERS ARE $7 AND INCLUDE HALF OF A CHICKEN, COLESLAW, BAKED BEANS, ROLL AND DESSERT. PARTICIPANTS CAN DINE-IN, PICK-UP OR GET DELIVERY IF THEY ORDER FIVE OR MORE DINNERS IN ALBANY, SPRINGFIELD, HOLDEN OR HAMMOND. (985) 662-1873 OR (985) 507-3032.
- ART ATTACK IN THE VILLAGE: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Denham Springs Antique Village, North Range Avenue, Denham Springs. Sixteen merchants will participate in the Art Attack in the Village by having an artist at their business. The event will also have food and beverage trucks and a reception for the Arts Council of Livingston Parish’s new exhibit For the ART of It. The exhibit features Mary Felder, Paulette Ferguson and Janelle Trosclair and will run through Oct. 3. The Denham Springs Antique Village will sponsor the free event.
- MARRIAGE ENRICHMENT WORKSHOP: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Live Oak United Methodist Church, 34890 La. 16, Watson. Mark Crosby, a licensed marriage and family therapist and licensed professional counselor, will conduct a marriage enrichment workshop for all couples. The cost is $20 per couple. (225) 664-4801.
POOCH PHOTOS BENEFIT: 9 A.M. TO 2 P.M., SMOOCH MY POOCH, 18564 MAGNOLIA BRIDGE ROAD, SUITE 114, GREENWELL SPRINGS. HOLLY MAYEUX ERWIN PHOTOGRAPHY AND KIMBERLY MENG PHOTOGRAPHY WILL TAKE PROFESSIONAL PICTURES OF PETS TO RAISE FUNDS FOR JADE, OF “JADES FLOWERS,” TO HELP THE FAMILY RECOVER FROM A FIRE THAT DESTROYED THEIR HOME. FOR A $25 DONATION, PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE TWO HIGH RESOLUTION IMAGES OF THEIR PET. FACEBOOK.COM/SMOOCHMYPOOCH.
- SEWING WORKSHOP: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. Patrons can learn how to sew a pillowcase dress for a small child. They can use the technique to make any size dress. Participants are asked to bring a sewing machine and thread to participate. Registration is required.
PICKING AND SINGING: 2 P.M., PLAINVIEW BAPTIST CHURCH, JOE MAY AND WALKER SOUTH ROADS. THE FREE COUNTRY GOSPEL CONCERT WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE CHURCH’S FELLOWSHIP HALL. MUSICIANS, SINGERS AND LISTENERS ARE INVITED. DONATIONS OF SNACKS OR DESSERTS WELCOME. (225) 243-6683 OR (225) 324-8764.
- NEW LIBERTY QUARTET: 9:30 a.m., New Beginnings Baptist Church, 9768 Florida Blvd., Walker. New Liberty Quartet will perform during services. Those attending are asked to bring a favorite dish for food and fellowship after the services. (225) 445-4927.
- GRANDPARENTS DAY: 10 a.m., Abundant Life Church, 206 Edgewood Drive, Denham Springs. The Grandparents Day celebration will include music by the church’s children’s choir, a free family photo and free lunch. All grandparents are invited.
- BABY AND TODDLER STORY TIME: 9:45 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- RETIRED TEACHERS MEETING: 10 a.m., Livingston Parish School Board, 13909 Florida Blvd., Livingston. The Livingston Parish Retired Teachers Association will meet to listen to the guest speakers, Royanne and Alex Kropog. They will discuss the history of the Hungarian Settlement. All retired teachers are invited. Lunch will follow the meeting.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- ALZHEIMER’S SUPPORT: 11:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- HAPPY BIRDS CRAFT & GAME: 5 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Patrons, ages 6 to 11, can make eco-friendly bird feeders and play in a PS3 Angry Birds gaming competition that will have prizes for the winners. Registration is required.
- BOOK ART & CALLIGRAPHY: 6 p.m., Watson Library Branch. Participants will learn the art of bookmaking and calligraphy with local artist Camille Werther. Space is limited and registration is required.
- COMPUTER BASICS: 2 p.m., South Library Branch, 23477 La. 444., (225) 698-3015; and 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Registration is required for the class at the Denham Springs-Walker branch.
- DENHAM SPRINGS GARDEN CLUB: 9:45 a.m., the home of Susan Harris, 34855 La. 1019. The Denham Springs Garden Club invites anyone interested in becoming a member to come to its first meeting of the year. The club will celebrate its 50th anniversary this year. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- INTERNET BASICS: 2 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. The computer class is free, but registration is required.
- DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS: 3:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. Patrons, ages 12 to 18, can play a game of Dungeons and Dragons, which involves a mystical world of dragons, elves, humans and dwarves.
- BLEACH DYING: 5:30 p.m., South Library Branch. Teens can bring a thick cotton T-shirt or jeans to bleach dye. Call the library to register for this program.
- TEEN ADVISORY BOARD MEETING: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. The board volunteers at the library, suggest programs and chooses books for the Young Adult section.
- TRON MINI GOLF: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. The game combines the cyberpunk style of Tron with glow-in-the-dark features and black light. Patrons ages 8 to 18 are invited to wear glow or black light accessories.
- ELEMENTARY ART CLASS: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., South Live Oak Elementary School, Room 602, 8400 Cecil Drive, Watson. Students in grades second through sixth will focus on the elements of art and principles of design. They should bring a No. 2 pencil and a drawing pad. The cost is $40 for members of the Arts Council of Livingston Parish and $45 for guests. To enroll, call (225) 954-2700.
- PILOT CLUB: 6:45 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- INTERMEDIATE WORD: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Patrons must take Word Basics first before taking this computer class.
GRIEF SUPPORT: 10 A.M., DENHAM SPRINGS-WALKER LIBRARY BRANCH.
STORIES, SONGS AND MORE: 10 A.M., LIVINGSTON LIBRARY BRANCH.
STORY TIME: 10 A.M., SOUTH LIBRARY BRANCH.
SOUL INSPIRED JOURNALING: 10 A.M., WATSON LIBRARY BRANCH. THE GROUP DISCUSSES THE PERSONAL BENEFITS OF JOURNALING.
9/11 CRY OUT AMERICA: 11:45 A.M., LIVINGSTON PARISH COUNCIL CHAMBERS, 20355 GOVERNMENT BLVD., LIVINGSTON. INDIVIDUALS, BUSINESSES, AGENCIES, SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES ARE ASKED TO COME TO THE 2013 “CRY OUT AMERICA 9/11 REMEMBRANCE CEREMONY AND PRAYER SERVICE” TO REMEMBER THE HORRIFIC EVENTS OF SEPT. 11, 2001. CALL (225) 936-9066, (225) 802-6454, OR SEND AN EMAIL TO CRHATCHER1@ATT.NET OR ANNIEFUGLER@AOL.COM.
MYSTERY MAVENS BOOK CLUB: 1 P.M., DENHAM SPRINGS-WALKER LIBRARY BRANCH. MEMBERS READ AND DISCUSS MYSTERIES. THIS MONTH THE CLUB WILL DISCUSS “WICKED APPETITE” BY JANET EVONOVICH.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- SHARING THE JOURNEY OF ALZHEIMER’S RESOURCES 101: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Alzheimer’s Service representatives will lead free, supportive workshops for caregivers and individuals with dementia each Thursday in September. This week’s workshop will address “Stress Management and Resources.” Registration is required.
- SUNNY SIDE UP BOOK CLUB: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch. The club reads and discusses inspirational fiction.
- ESL CLASS: 4:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. The free conversational English class is open to non-native English speakers at all levels of ability.
- BLEACH DYING: 6 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- SPINE TINGLERS BOOK CLUB: 6 p.m., Watson Library Branch. The club reads thrilling fiction with mystery and suspense.
- HALO 4 TOURNAMENT: 6 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. The tournament is for patrons, ages 18 and older. Registration is required.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved