Serves 6. Recipe is by chef Brandon Meutzel, Palace Café, New Orleans.
For popcorn rice:
21/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups uncooked Louisiana popcorn rice
3 cups water
For Creole meunière sauce:
3 lemons, peeled, cut into quarters
3 tbls. Crystal hot sauce
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
8 sticks butter, chopped, chilled
2 tbls. butter
1 tbl. chopped garlic
2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled deveined
3 cups sliced domestic mushrooms
1 tbl. Creole seasoning
3 cups chopped green onions
21. Make the rice. Melt butter in a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook until it is opaque and smells nutty, about 2 minutes. Stir in the water and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until the rice has absorbed the water and is tender, about 15 minutes. Cover and keep warm until serving time.
2. Make the sauce. Combine the lemons, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a medium sauce pot over medium heat and cook until reduced by two-thirds, about2 6 minutes. Add the whipping cream and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the chilled butter a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly, until completely incorporated after each addition. Strain through a fine strainer into another sauce pot. Keep warm.
3. Cook the shrimp. Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, mushrooms and Creole seasoning. Sauté until the shrimp just begin to turn pink, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Set aside 2 tablespoons green onions for garnish. Add the remaining green onions and the warm Creole Meunière Sauce to the shrimp and mushrooms. Cook over low heat until the shrimp are firm and cooked through, about 6 minutes.
5. To serve, pack the rice into a shallow cup and invert onto each of six serving plates; lift carefully. Spoon the shrimp and sauce around the rice. Garnish with the reserved green onions.