New Orleans Art Calendar for Aug. 22-28, 2013
- FRIDAY NIGHTS AT NOMA: 5 p.m., New Orleans Museum of Art, 1 Collins C. Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. Art activities for children from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., music by Dave Jordan 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. noma.org.
- BENEITOS ART: 3618 Magazine St., New Orleans. Jazz, blues and Carnival-themed oil paintings by Bernard Beneito. Gallery hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. (504) 891-9170.
- CALLAN CONTEMPORARY: 518 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. “Dream a Dream” by Key-Sook Geum, through Sept. 28. (504) 525-0518 or www.callancontemporary.com.
- CONTEMPORARY ARTS CENTER: 900 Camp St., New Orleans. “Tameka Norris-Family Values,” through Sept. 22; “Chalmatia – A Fictional Place Down the Road,” through Sept. 8; and “ANTHROPOMORPHIZER !!” by Miss Pussycat, This Sweaty City, “Tank Drama: Deliberations from The Wet Grave” and “Who’s Pulling the Strings?” through Sept. 22. (504) 528-3800.
- DUTCH ALLEY ARTISTS CO-OP: 912 N. Peters St., New Orleans. Representing 25 local artists working in fabric, glass, clay, photography, etc. Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. (504) 412-9220 or dutchalleyartistsco-op.com.
- JONATHAN FERRARA GALLERY: 400A Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and by appointment. Nature of the City by Hannah Chalew on view through Aug. 27. (504) 522-5471 or jonathanferraragallery.com.
- LEMIEUX GALLERIES: 332 Julia St., New Orleans. Gallery hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. “BA-ROKE,” new sculptures by Shannon Landis Hansen on view through Sept. 28. (504) 522-5988.
- LOUISIANA STATE MUSEUM, CABILDO: 751 Chartres St., New Orleans. “The Palm, the Pine and the Cypress: Newcomb Pottery of New Orleans,” major exhibition of Newcomb art pottery, through September. (504) 568-6968 or www.crt.state.la.us/museum/properties/cabildo.aspx.
- THE MCKENNA MUSEUM: 2003 Carondelet St., New Orleans. “Faces of Treme,” photographs by Chandra McCormick and Keith Calhoun. (504) 586-7432.
- M.S. RAU ANTIQUES: 630 Royal St., New Orleans. “Impressionism – Influences and Impact,” paintings by Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Vincent van Gogh and Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot. (504) 523-5660.
- NEW ORLEANS MUSEUM OF ART: 1 Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. “Rashaad Newsome: King of Arms,” through Sept. 15. (504) 658-4100 or noma.org.
- OCTAVIA ART GALLERY: 4532 Magazine St., New Orleans. Exhibition of Julie Robinson’s new paintings. www.octaviaartgallery.com.
- WILLIAMS RESEARCH CENTER: 410 Chartres St., New Orleans. “Alternative Imprints: Jon Webb, Gypsy Lou, and the Hand-Sewn World of the Loujon Press” through Saturday, Nov. 16. Sponsored by The Historic New Orleans Collection. Gallery hours are Tuesday–Saturday, 9:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. (504) 523-4662. Free.
- OGDEN MUSEUM OF SOUTHERN ART: 925 Camp St., New Orleans. Louisiana Contemporary and Southern Imagists: Selections from the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art on view through Sept. 22. Into the Light: Photographs from the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art and Will Henry Stevens: Selections from the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art through Jan. 5. Ongoing: “Walter Inglis Anderson: Selections From the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art” and “Southern Regionalists From the Permanent Collection of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.” ogdenmuseum.org or (504) 539-9600.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved