Outdoors Calendar for Aug. 18, 2013
- CANAL BANK BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, 18499 La. 22. Maurepas. $40/boat, $15/angler membership fee. $5 launch fee. Through Aug. 28. Email: Susan Carpenter: email@example.com.
- SUGAR CCA BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Cade Community Center, 1688 Smede Highway, St. Martinville. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- BASSMASTER ELITE SERIES: Lake St. Clair Championship, Detroit. Last in eight-tournament series to determine 2014 Bassmaster Classic qualifiers. Live weigh-in: www.bassmaster.com.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS TOURNAMENT: 7 p.m.-midnight, Morrison Parkway Public Landing. Fee $30/boat. Weekly through Sept. 13. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- YOUTH GREEN WING DAY: 8:30 a.m., Georgia-Pacific Pavilion, Pleasant-Port Hickey Road, Zachary. Retriever demos, decoy painting, wood duck-box building, LDWF hunter safety. Fee $10/child, includes lunch and 1-year DU Green Wing membership. Preregistration requested. Call Barry Hanks (225) 572-1886. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IFA REDFISH TOUR/LOUISIANA: Grand Isle. Heaviest two-redfish catch (16 to 27 inches long). Last in 3-event series to qualify for Oct. 24-26 IFA Championship in Houma. Call (478) 836-4266. Website: www.IFAredfishtour.com.
- FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Monthly. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- 20TH ANNUAL FRIENDS OF THE NRA BANQUET: 5 p.m., Grand Ballroom, Crowne Plaza, Baton Rouge. Benefits area youth shooting sports and firearms education. Call Rob Walker (225) 756-5225. Email: email@example.com.
- CONTRABAND CONCLAVE VIII: 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Moss Bluff United Methodist Church. Free. Fly fishing programs, tying demos, exhibitors, casting clinics. Sponsored by the Contraband Fly Casters. Call Warren Landry (337) 853-7755. Website: www.contrabandflycasters.net.
- WOMEN IN THE OUTDOORS: Franklinton Skeet Club. Classes on hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, outdoor photography, bird watching, camp cooking and more. Sponsored by the Sassy Hens Chapter, National Wild Turkey Federation. Call Debbie Stafford (985) 515-2020. Website: www.womenintheoutdoors.org.
- LOUISIANA SALTWATER SERIES/TARPON TOURNAMENT: 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Venice Marina, Venice. Teams allowed to weigh one fish weighing more than 150 pounds. All other catch is tag-and-release. Fee $300 (100-percent payback). Call LSS staff (225) 765-2377. Website: www.lasaltwaterseries.com.
- DOIRON’S TEAM BASS CLASSIC: Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner. Last in four-tournament series. Call Larry Doiron (985) 397-3113.
AROUND THE CORNER
- AUG. 25 - CASTING FOR A CURE BIG BASS TOURNAMENT: 6 a.m.-1 p.m., Morrison Parkway public landing, False River, New Roads. Fee $75. Big-bass hourly payout and big-bass overall pot. $5,000 guaranteed payout. Benefits American Cancer Society. Call Tanner Pourciau (225) 955-2460.
- AUG. 25 - LA. BULLS EYE CONVENTIONAL PISTOL MATCH: 9 a.m., Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. Timed & rapid-fire match, NRA rules, .22 rim fire, .22 centerfire & .45 ACP pistols. Fee $7. Call Skip Blanchard (504) 427-0050. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AUG. 25 - SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. NRA 200-yard match course. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett at (225) 272-3538. Email: email@example.com.
- AUG. 25 - IFA KAYAK TOUR/LOUISIANA: Grand Isle. Catch & release combined length of redfish & speckled trout. Last in 3-event series to qualify for Oct. 17-19 IFA Championship in Houma. Call (478) 836-4266. Website: www.IFAredfishtour.com.
- AUG. 26 - RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Pete Bongiovanni (225) 335-4596. Website: www.rsff.org.
- AUG. 26 - FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Web: finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- STATEWIDE TOURNAMENT & ANGLERS’ RODEO: Through Sept. 2, saltwater fishing event. Truck/boats for specially tagged redfish. Prizes in several categories. Entry fee and CCA membership required. Call CCA-Louisiana (225) 952-9200.
- SEPT. 4 - BENGAL TIGER CHAPTER/DELTA WATERFOWL BANQUET: 5 p.m. JL’s Place, 1115 Bob Pettit Blvd., Baton Rouge. 7 p.m. dinner, raffles, auction. Call Josh Zumo (225) 939-9585.
- DOVES-FIRST SPLIT: South Zone, Sept. 7-15; North Zone, Sept. 7-22. Hunting hours noon-sunset Sept. 7, one-half hour before sunrise to sunset all other days. Daily limit 15. Possession limit 45.
- RECREATIONAL RED SNAPPER SEASON/FEDERAL WATERS: Closed in federal waters. Open in state waters weekends-only through September/3-per-day limit, 16-inches minimum size. Anglers must have no-fee Louisiana Recreational Offshore Landing Permit. Website: www.rolp.wlf.la.gov/Permit/Apply.
- EAST GRAND TERRE ISLAND, BAY JIMMY, MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA CLOSURE: To commercial fishing, including crabs and shrimp, and to recreational fishing, except rod-and-reel take of finfish, until further notice after state biologists identified residual BP-Deepwater Horizon tar balls and tar mats.
- FALL INSHORE SHRIMP SEASON: Open in all state inside waters.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved