Roasted Chicken and Vegetables With Balsamic Oil
Serves 4. Recipe is from Cynthia Duhon, who says to substitute with other vegetables, such as mushrooms, carrots, onions, sweet potatoes and eggplant slices if desired.
4 small boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbls. olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 medium zucchini, sliced
2 medium yellow squash, sliced
1 bell pepper, red, yellow or green, seeded and cut into eighths or 5 banana peppers, seeded and cut in half
2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
3 tbls. chopped fresh basil or parsley
3 tbls. Parmesan or Romano cheese
1. Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Rinse and remove visible fat from chicken breasts. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season chicken lightly on both sides with salt, black pepper and thyme. Place chicken in single layer in baking dish and set aside.
3. In small bowl combine olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine. Using a spoon, drizzle chicken with half of the balsamic-oil mixture. Make sure both sides of the chicken are coated.
4. In separate large baking dish or pan, add zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper and garlic. Spoon remaining balsamic mixture over vegetables, toss gently to coat. Spread into single layer.
5. Place chicken and vegetables in preheated 425-degree oven and bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and has reached 170 degrees. After 10 minutes of baking time, stir or turn vegetables over and continue baking another 10-15 minutes or until they’re cooked to your liking.
6. Arrange chicken breasts on platter with vegetables surrounding them. Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil or parsley and shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved