Makes 1 cake or about 15 thin slices. Recipe prepared by Frances Huggins is from “The Revel” by the Junior League of Shreveport and was submitted by Lynne Crutcher Gill.
1 cup egg whites
1 small pinch cream of tartar
2 cups sugar plus 2 tbls.
1 tsp. vanilla
3½ ozs. slivered almonds, finely chopped
Whites from 3 eggs
¾ cup sugar
3 tbls. cocoa
3 ozs. German sweet chocolate, melted
3 sticks butter, very soft
Whipped cream icing:
3 cups whipping cream
1⁄3 cup sugar
2 tbls. vanilla
3 ozs. grated German sweet chocolate, for garnish
1. Prepare meringue disks: Cut 4 (9-inch) parchment paper circles. Place on cookie sheets and grease disks. Whip 1 cup egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Continue whipping until stiff enough to 2f2Follow beaters around. With mixer on low speed, blend in sugar 1⁄3 cup at a time and vanilla. Don’t blend too much or the sugar will melt the egg whites. Gently fold in almonds. Spread meringue on the disk2disck with a rubber spatula, making sure meringue is not higher in the center.
2. Bake at 225 degrees for 2½ hours, turn off oven and leave inside for at least 6 hours with oven doors closed.
3. Make chocolate filling: Whip egg whites from 3 eggs over hot, but not boiling water. Add sugar and whip until stiff. Add cocoa. Take off fire. Add German chocolate, then fold in butter. Let mixture get cold enough to spread. Use rubber spatula to smooth the mixture on top of each disk and set in refrigerate to chill.
4. Prepare icing: Whip cream until very stiff. Add sugar and vanilla.
5. Assemble cake: Remove meringue and chocolate disks from the fridge. Ice first disk with whipped cream. Stack second disk on top, ice and so on with remaining layers. Ice top and sides with remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle grated German chocolate on top.
Note: The recipe suggests you start the cake early in the evening and leave meringues in overnight. Bake on separate baking sheets leaving enough room between disks so the heat can circulate. The chocolate mixture can be made in the evening and left out overnight to reach room temperature.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved