Gerry Stern’s Brisket
Serves 8 to 10. Adapted from a recipe from Gerry Stern, of Natchez, Miss.
1 beef brisket, from 5 to 7 lbs. (can be smaller or larger)
Tony Chachere’s Original Seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, thinly sliced
6 ribs celery, finely chopped
1/2 lb. baby carrots
2 envelopes dry onion soup mix
1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Trim excess fat from brisket. Rinse meat and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle meat on all sides with Tony Chachere’s, being careful not to use too much because the onion soup mix is fairly salty. Sprinkle with black pepper and paprika.
3. Place meat, fat side up, in large roaster with cover. Cover meat with the chopped garlic. Add onion, celery and carrots and sprinkle with the onion soup mix.
4. Add tomato sauce. Fill the tomato sauce can with red wine and pour over roast. Add enough water to have about 2 inches of liquid in the bottom of the roaster.
5. Cover roaster. Place in preheated oven and bake for 3 hours. Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes to brown slightly. Roast should be fork tender.
6. To make a gravy, strain out vegetables. Skim off fat. Thicken with a little flour and water, if desired.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved