Serves 10-12. Recipe is by Corinne Cook. This cake is rich, so serve small slices. Serve with fresh fruit or ice cream on the side if desired. Or, serve plain with hot cup of coffee. Make cake in a 9-inch cake pan, pie pan or an 8- or 9-inch ovenproof skillet.
Butter for greasing pan
1 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
2 large eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. almond extract
1 cup flour
8 tbls. (1 stick) butter, melted
3 to 4 tbls. sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 1 (8- or 9-inch) cake pan, pie pan or ovenproof skillet with butter and set aside.
2. Place the sugar in medium mixing bowl. Remove 2 tablespoons of the sugar and set it aside. The reserved sugar will be used to sprinkle over the top of the batter.
3. Add grated lemon zest to sugar and stir to blend well. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, beat until well incorporated.
4. Add salt and extracts.
5. Using spoon or rubber spatula, fold in flour and butter. Stir until batter is smooth then pour into prepared pan.
6. Top batter with sliced almonds and reserved 2 tablespoons sugar.
7. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for about 25 or 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top. The cake can be served from the pan or turned out onto a rack and then to a cake plate. Serve with ice cream and/or fresh fruit if desired.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved