Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Makes 1 (81/2-inch by 41/2-inch) loaf. Recipe is courtesy of King Arthur Flour.
2 large eggs
1⁄3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. espresso powder, optional
1⁄3 cup all-purpose baking cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
12⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently pressed
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease an 81/2-inch by 41/2-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, honey, oil, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
3. Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, cocoa and flour, mixing until well-combined.
4. Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake the bread for 65 to 75 minutes, until the loaf tests done. (A toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a light smear of chocolate from the melted chips.)
7. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack. Cool completely before slicing; store well-wrapped, at room temperature.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved