Avocado Black Bean Burger
Serves 8. Recipe is from the California Avocado Commission.
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 ripe, fresh California avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
11/4 lbs. lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tps. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
8 thin slices reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
Thinly sliced tomatoes
8 whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
1. Preheat an outdoor grill to medium.
2. Place the beans on a cutting board and mash with the back of a fork or large spoon until smooth, but still a bit chunky. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3. Place an avocado half on a cutting board and mash with the back of a fork. Transfer to the mixing bowl and stir together with the beans.
4. Add the beef, cilantro, bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Divide the beef mixture and shape into patties, each a bit larger in diameter than the hamburger buns. Create a small dimple in the center of the burger patty by pressing down with your fingers.
5. Place the patties on the grill and cook until no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer registers at least 160 degrees, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place cheese slices on top of patties about 2 minutes before done.
6. While the burgers are cooking, cut the remaining avocado into thin slices. Place slices on a serving platter along with tomatoes, lettuce leaves and additional cilantro as desired.
7. When the burgers are done, serve on buns and offer toppers on the side.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 320 calories, 13 grams total fat (5 grams Sat., 0 grams Trans, 0.5 grams Poly, 4 grams Mono), 55 milligrams cholesterol, 600 milligrams sodium, 350 milligrams potassium, 4 grams dietary fiber, 28 grams protein.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved