Woman arrested in stepdaughter assault
A 40-year-old woman accused of repeatedly slamming her stepdaughter’s head into the floor was arrested Friday.
Ginger Bencaz, 40, 10838 Hillbrook Ave., Baton Rouge, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on counts of cruelty to juveniles, second-degree battery and domestic abuse battery, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
A verbal altercation Tuesday between Bencaz and her stepdaughter, who is under the age of 17, became heated, causing Bencaz to allegedly slap the victim in the face multiple times, grab her hair and slam her head into the ground.
The victim eventually got away and fled to a bathroom where she took pictures of her bloodied face and nose.
Bencaz’s daughter, also under the age of 17, attempted to stop the beating, but failed.
Later on, after the daughter asked her mother what happened earlier, Bencaz allegedly took her daughter into a hallway and struck the victim multiple times in the back of the head, the affidavit says.
Woman booked with $15,000 jewelry theft
A 20-year-old woman accused of stealing more than $15,000 worth of jewelry from a 64-year-old woman was arrested Thursday.
Kelsey Marie Copes, 20, 33880 Percy Young Road, Walker, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on counts of theft of assets from an aged or disabled person, prison records show.
Copes, who accompanied her mother while she was cleaning the victim’s house, allegedly stole the jewelry from an armoire, damaged most of it, and then sold it to We Buy Gold in Walker, where she used to work, an affidavit of probable cause says.
Copes admitted to stealing the jewelry and said she was sorry, adding that she’d pay it all back to the victim with her mother’s help.
17 drivers booked on EBR DWI counts
Authorities arrested at least 17 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
- Jeremy Boelte, 28, 46 Preserve Lane, Mandeville, first-offense DWI and careless driving.
- Derrick Brown, 26, 315 Day Drive, Baker, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license required or expired.
- Cletheren Cains, 63, 1109 Louisiana Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license required or expired.
- James Dunford, 29, 4645 42nd St., Zachary, first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Ernest Emery, 57, 3528 Wayne Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI and motor vehicle inspection required.
- Jorge Gomez, 21, 316 Sotney Brook Ave., Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, stop sign/yield sign violation, driver’s license required and possession of marijuana.
- Feltus Gray, 54, 13503 Felton Clark Drive, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, possession of marijuana, possession of Schedule 3 drugs, possession of Schedule 4 drugs and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Joshua Harrell, 24, 1909 Broadmoor Drive, Gautier, Miss., first-offense DWI and reckless operation of a vehicle.
- Adele Hay, 29, 4115 Nelson St., Zachary, first-offense DWI.
- Brandon Landry, 28, 12358 E. Brock Place, Baton Rouge, first-offense DWI, driver’s license suspended or revoked, possession of marijuana and reckless operation.
- Jonathan McKenzie, 27, 23076 Dalbor St., Plaquemine, second-offense DWI, possession of alcohol in vehicle and speeding.
- Quan Mingo, 39, 4380 Mohican-Prescott Crossover, Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- Derrick Morhan, 36, 2528 Madison Ave., Baton Rouge, second-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle and driver’s license suspended or revoked.
- John Raborn, 26, 25801 Chocktaw Drive, Denham Springs, first-offense DWI.
- John Smith, 25, 1512 Four Mile Bayou Road, Morgan City, third-offense DWI, reckless operation of a vehicle, a one-way street violation, disobeying a red light, driving without a license, and a stop sign or yield sign violation.
- Jordan Soderstrum, 26, 3252 Highland Road, third-offense DWI, disobeying a red light, flight from an officer and insurance required.
- Hardy White, 40, 8404 Folly Brown, Clinton, first-offense DWI, drinking in a motor vehicle, disobeying a police officer and reckless operation.
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved