Serves 10. Recipe is from Janet Young.
2 medium onions, cut into 8 wedges each (leave the root ends attached)
1 tbl. olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
3 tbls. butter, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1½ cups milk
1⁄3 cup flour
4 ozs. white cheddar cheese, grated
1 tbl. finely snipped fresh sage
Fresh sage for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In large skillet, cook onions in hot oil 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons butter and the minced garlic; over low heat, continue cooking for 8 minutes or until onions are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Grease 10 to 12 individual 5- to 7-ounce baking dishes with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and set aside.
4. In separate large mixing bowl, add eggs and milk; whisk in flour. Add cheese and snipped sage. Whisk to blend.
5. Divide onion mixture among the individual dishes. Pour egg mixture over onions.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove and let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm. Garnish tops with fresh sage leaf, if desired.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved