65th annual Golden Meadow-Fourchon Tarpon Rodeo
- WHEN: Thursday through Saturday.
- WHERE: Fourchon Marina, 288 Flotation Canal Rd., Port Fourchon.
- FISHING: Sunrise Friday through 4 p.m. Saturday weigh-in deadline for Children’s Division; 5 p.m. Saturday in Scuba Division; and, 6 p.m. Saturday for rod-and-reel and tag-and-release divisions. Weigh-in scales open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday.
- RODEO TICKETS: $25 Adult/Open divisions. $10 Children.
- NEW THIS YEAR: Kayak Division, combo stringer of any five fish among the Inside Division specie categories. Top 3 places determined by aggregate weight of the five fish entered.
- BOW FISHING DIVISION: Fish must be taken solely by bow and is limited to drum, flounder, gar, redfish 16 or more inches long and sheepshead. Contestant will be able to weigh any five fish from among the listed species. Top 3 places determined by aggregate weight of the five fish entered.
- Categories/Eligible Species
- BIG GAME DIVISION: Dolphin, any legal species of shark, tarpon weighing 60 or more pounds, yellowfin tuna, rainbow runner, wahoo.
- BIG GAME TAG & RELEASE DIVISION: Blue marlin, white marlin, sailfish, swordfish. Boat winners decided on points, 500 points for blue marlin, 200 points for white marlin, 150 points for sailfish, 100 points for swordfish.
- INSIDE AND CHILDREN’S (12-AND-YOUNGER) DIVISIONS: Bass, bream, croaker, drum, flounder, gafftopsail catfish, bull red (27 or more inches long), rat red (16 inches long to less than 27 inches long), sheepshead, speckled trout, white trout. Note: There is no “bull red” category in the Chidren’s Division).
- SHORELINE DIVISION: Barracuda, bluefish, bonita, blackfin tuna, cobia, grouper, king mackerel, Spanish mackerel, mangrove snapper.
- SCUBA DIVING: Barracuda, cobia, grouper, jack crevalle, sheepshead, mangrove snapper, spadefish, miscellaneous (no tarpon nor billfish), and combo stringer (five fish among eligible species with top 3 determined by aggregate weight of the five fish entered).
- AWARDS: Top three entries in each category. Outstanding Fishermen in Big Game, Shoreline and Inside divisions. Team & King Spearfisher in Scuba Division.
- TICKETS: Moran’s Marina & Fourchon Marina, Fourchon; Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle; B&B Hardware, Larose; Golden Meadow True Value & T-Pops, Golden Meadow; Carmardelle’s Bait Shop, Grand Isle Cheniere; H&R Sports Bar & Kief’s Hardware, Cut Off; Renovations, Galliano; Gail’s Bait Shop, Griffin’s Station & Marina and Tyd’s, Leeville.
- CONTACT: Chris Moran (225) 931-7306. Website: www.gmfourchontarponrodeo.com.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved